1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

One HbA1C per year?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Lynne C J, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Lynne C J

Lynne C J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm T1 and very well controlled, test BG regularly etc but I still only have one HbA1C a year for my diabetic check up. Just on insulin injections, not a pump. Is this the same for other T1's?

My Accu-Chek meter gives me 7, 14, 30 and 90 day averages which correlate with my HbA1C result so I'm not concerned, just interested

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, same for me. And sometimes they run late so not even that often.

3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Not a T1, but as a T2 I am entitled to four hba1c blood tests a year at the pathology shop.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I was offered 3 or 4 times for blood tests and reviews including hba1c, but as everything is going well I told them I prefer once a year.
    They agreed, as long as I promised to give them a call when there are problems.

5. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

They test me about every 6 months. Most of the time in the USA they have you see an endo if you are type 1 and want to see and test you every 3 to 6 months. If you are in good control the appointment is more for if you have any concerns, want new or change your prescriptions or new devices/tech etc. You can call them or e-mail them for the same things, but most of the insurance companies want an endo or other doctor to touch bases with you and check blood work etc 2-4 times a year.

6. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It seems to vary from annual to bi annual or quarterly dependent on results. My next is due bi annually because I have an FSL so need to justify it plus I've gone up to 8.3 in the past , have had complications etc. which makes me a tier 3 o4 patient as far as the NHS is concerned.

7. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had twice this year, one in January when I attended a DSN appointment (fortunately they have a machine that can do it with a sample via finger prick rather than the full works) and then again in May with the full works when I had my review with my consultant

They did test me very regularly for a while the year after I was diagnosed due to low hba1c's that they wanted to keep an eye on
    xx

8. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's so strange! I get them every 4 months, i wonder if that's because mine are still in the high range?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have mine every 3 months here in France, always okay

10. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Before I was place on a pump I was tested once a year (if I was lucky). Since I have been pumping I have been checked every 3 months. Now moving to every 6 months

11. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had my 6 monthly appointment with the consultant yesterday and she's moved me to every 8 months. I'm OK with that because I can contact a diabetic nurse by email if I've got any questions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lynne C J

Wow, it must depend on where you live perhaps? Good for you x

13. Lynne C J

I've never seen a consultant so don't know if that is a good thing or not! Seems to be going well without that. The local Consultant Endocrinologist came out to an event organised by my surgery, he was so dour it would be enough to make you jump off a cliff if your results weren't good! Mind you, some of the patients attending obvously had no idea about their diabetes so perhaps that's why he's as he is. Patients with HbA1c's of 120 who wouldn't have any treatment, gotta wonder!

14. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I live in a non NHS country for a start, and my GP has always been supportive with the blood tests and signing the NDSS strip form.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook