One reason for diabetics to vote Remain

equipoise

Diabetes UK has fought in vain for 5 years to persuade the DVLA to lift its ban on giving a license to diabetics who have severe hypoglycaemia when they are asleep. The European Commission has now asked the DVLA to lift the ban. Diabetes UK is calling on the DVLA to act on the European Commission decision to make sure that legislative processes are in place when the rule changes on or before 1 January 2018.

Reactions: 4 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While I realise a driving ban is a major inconvenience (lining in the back of beyond and having been unable to drive for 5 months due to a completely smashed wrist) there are safety reasons for not allowing people who have severe hypoglycaemic attacks can pose a risk to themselves and other road users if they suffer an attack while driving.

I could possibly have driven sooner as I was only told that I could drive when I felt able to do so but in an emergency I didn't think I could wrench the steering wheel around before then.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The key point is the difference between major hypoglycaemia episdes requring assistance that occur when asleep (no-one drives when asleep!) and awake. It's not about temporary situations like Arab Horse's smashed wrist.

Last edited by a moderator: