One step forward, two steps back

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so thursday i was ecstatic, I have been dieting since january but after being diagnosed a couple weeks ago with type 2 I've swapped to very low if anything carb diet, thursday I was 15.9 down from nearly 18st in jan, yesterday had an awful reaction to the metaformin I've been put on. It was the first time ive had diarrhoea from it and I felt wiped all day and just had chicken salad last night, weighed today and I'm 15.11 what the ??? Can anyone explain why I've put weight on ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you had a bad case of diarrhoea your body is probably retaining water as you are likely dehydrated. It should normalise after a day or so.

Reactions: Spiritedgirl

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you thought it might be this, doesn't stop me feeling demotivated today but onward and upward

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sympathise as I had the same reaction to Metformin for about a month.
In the end I gave up on it, as I felt so bad, but it will mess around with your weight. Do drink more to compensate if you have a reaction again - I think it helps to sooth things down after the turbulence.
By the way - I was confused as I read your weight as decimal - it might be clearer if you used a dash to separate stones and pounds as point one one of a stone is a lot lower than eleven poinds.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 15.9 down from nearly 18st
first off yay you :). next i really know/have experienced the "aaargh lose weight why is it sooo hard/demoralising" thing! So far (a year in) my experience of low carb is that I do lose weight in a way that I haven't/didn't with other attempts. I'm still the same person with the same 'motivation' and 'will power' and the same wine consumption ;) but low carb slowly but consistently sees me losing fat. it's slow because that's the route i've chosen but it is, and this is the single most important thing for me, reliable. Low carb equals weight loss.

Reactions: Buzzer81

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so thursday i was ecstatic, I have been dieting since january but after being diagnosed a couple weeks ago with type 2 I've swapped to very low if anything carb diet, thursday I was 15.9 down from nearly 18st in jan, yesterday had an awful reaction to the metaformin I've been put on. It was the first time ive had diarrhoea from it and I felt wiped all day and just had chicken salad last night, weighed today and I'm 15.11 what the ??? Can anyone explain why I've put weight on ?

Well losing over 2 stone in 5 months is a mammoth achievement! Wow!! x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Spiritedgirl
I am having trouble getting the scales to move downwards. Started off well but then only the odd lb here and there BUT in the past 3 months I have needed to tighten my belt 6 holes and gone from a tight 16 to a lose and baggy 14 in Jean's. Something is happening to my body in all the right places, but not on the scales, so I mostly ignore them
Measure your waist now, keep a record and see how that goes. It's as good a measure of health as weight

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well losing over 2 stone in 5 months is a mammoth achievement! Wow!! x
Thank you I'm walking 5-6k a day, just started a bit of running building it up god I must look pathetic lol and I'm working on the low carb theory as much as I can, and working in a calorie deficit, the only carbs I have are milk and greek yoghurt really, I'm being very strict with myself. It's the only way I'm going to get out of this mess, I was diagnosed with hbac1 level of 91 two weeks ago, mostly mmol level is sitting around 6.1 raising to 7.2 maximum a day now so thinking im going in the right direction

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Spiritedgirl
I am having trouble getting the scales to move downwards. Started off well but then only the odd lb here and there BUT in the past 3 months I have needed to tighten my belt 6 holes and gone from a tight 16 to a lose and baggy 14 in Jean's. Something is happening to my body in all the right places, but not on the scales, so I mostly ignore them
Measure your waist now, keep a record and see how that goes. It's as good a measure of health as weight
This is what I'm noticing now my clothes being looser I've chucked away all my size 24,22,20 tops now down into the 18 bracket just... but I couldn't work out why after yesterday I'd put weight on if I'd had really bad stomach upset, but all makes sense if my body is holding the water

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I'm a fat bloke and I remind people, in a friendly manner, that if loosing weight was easy, we would all be skinny.

Best of luck with your diet and getting to grips with diabetes.