One week on-but still the questions!

lilibet

Hi all

A week ago today since diagnosis. Mentally starting to rebalance - but mainly only after telephone call and appt with my own GP this week who reassured me re many symptoms etc (ie hot feet, tingling etc) were not likely signs of long term damage but due to body adjusting to new sugar levels. Got clinic today - check bs diary etc. Been around 6 for last two days (4.9 last night, after little carbs at dinner, 9.5 this morning :( )

Was wondering re couple of things though. I appreciate that insulin and corrected bs can cause weight gain (though I didnt actually lose any before diagnosis despite bs of 27 and general high bs for christ knows how long!) but my scales say weight gain over past 4 days which surely cant be the case already? IF it is my mental state will decline........................

Also if my insulin dose is in place just now to compensate for the starchy meals advice, which I am taking just now until im stable and more sure footed. Does this mean that if i cut carbs insulin will be too high and i will be hypo girl?

Finally - why dont the NHS have mentors for newly diagnosed, or anybody struggling with it? My intro to my illness was via hospital admission and although DSN appears fine and has been in touch in one shape or form with me every day this week the experience of others is invaluable.

NHS need to learn that a pancreas is in fact attached to a person!!!!!!

On a more 'positive' note, you know when you are making progress when your fear is not of hypos but of losing the ability to tell when you are having them. I felt better at 4.9 than at 5.8. LOL! :lol:

Thanks for the support this week-directly and indirectly

Lilibet

caitycakes

I know what you mean about pancreases and them being attached to you! When I got diagnosed they talked about the "honeymoon" stage. All I remember thinking was that if it was in any way possible I wanted to DIVORCE MY BLOODY PANCREAS! I am not in any way expert at this diabetic balancing act but was recently diagnosed myself. What I did was to take little steps at a time. Get your sugars under reasonable control and then experiment. I was 10st 4lbs when diagnosed (type 1) and I am now 9 st. My levels are good and I am not low carbing as such, but not eating anything like the carbs they recommended when I was at the hospital. Call me vain, but one of my bigger concerns was putting on weight with the insulin. You don't have to gain weight, but it takes a little time to get the confidence to make the adjustments and do the experimenting. Basically, if you cut your carbs you have to cut your insulin, but don't rush, settle into the situation for a little while before you experiment.

Good luck!