One word to describe the moment before your first ever pin prick test

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not impressed. (Much better than someone else doing a pin prick to me to test for who knows what every time I donated blood)
It's to test your iron levels - and I agree self testing for BG is much less painful

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Tbh It was such a long time ago I can't remember, I had to pee on a stick when first diagnosed, but I remember the very first Insulin injection I had to do in hospital........................ petrifying :nailbiting:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed in 1978 and used a little test tube to check urine for sugar. In 1982 I was sent home from a clinic appointment with BM strips, lancets and the address of where I could buy the finger-pricking device for those lancets (it cost £5). I was told to start testing, as my insulin had been changed and there were lots of hypos, so I felt I couldn't wait a week for the device to arrive.
The first time I tested, I washed and dried my hands, prepared the strip (we had to half them) and twisted off the cap of the lancet . I breathed in and pulled back the lancet, ready to prick my finger and then realised I couldn't do it. I asked my brother to prick my finger instead, which he gladly did. When the device arrived it was so much easier, it wasn't a problem.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed in 1978 and used a little test tube to check urine for sugar. In 1982 I was sent home from a clinic appointment with BM strips, lancets and the address of where I could buy the finger-pricking device for those lancets (it cost £5). I was told to start testing, as my insulin had been changed and there were lots of hypos, so I felt I couldn't wait a week for the device to arrive.
The first time I tested, I washed and dried my hands, prepared the strip (we had to half them) and twisted off the cap of the lancet . I breathed in and pulled back the lancet, ready to prick my finger and then realised I couldn't do it. I asked my brother to prick my finger instead, which he gladly did. When the device arrived it was so much easier, it wasn't a problem.
oops just realised you wanted one word:

1st attempt . . . Impossible!

2nd attempt . . . Easy!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IhateneedlesandwouldrathernotdothisbutIneedtososhuteyestightthinkofEnglandandjustbloomingDOIT!

ETAS: I'd done some research on lancing devices, and got the impression that the Fastclix was relatively nice and painless, so had bought one - and that first prick wasn't nearly as bad as the thought of it. But I still pricked with closed eyes for quite a while...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jollymon

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interested.
As only diagnosed initially with a dip stick at time of changing areas/gp practice.
A telephone call later to be told my sugar level was still going up on nurse's test and I should return to the practice. I couldn't as I was going through check-out at a 10mile away supermarket. My one day off a fortnight was always a hectic one.

Last edited:
Reactions: merrymunky
D

Deleted member 308541

Thinking back to when I first started testing. I seem to remember that the lancet sting was no worse than the myriads of bone nicks and cuts I got on the tips of my fingers when working in the meat industry.

Reactions: ickihun

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dizzy.

(Like I had been feeling the three weeks before that moment).
Luckily for me, as I had seen my mum do it for years, it wasn’t too scary!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch (that was b4 id even done it so you can imagine what it was after )

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Four....

As in the number of letters in the words used, then realised the prick machine was set on max.

Caused a few more words

Reactions: zauberflote

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I’m enjoying the stories
People are busting the one word limit but it’s good to recall how we felt at the start - new people are going through that experience every day
Keep them coming!

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Aarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh"! That was because I remembered the nasty v shaped blade that used to be used at antenatal appointments way back in the 1980s. They hurt like heck, and caused profuse bleeding. Immediately after my blood letting for diabetes finger pricking in 2005, I realised things had moved on for the better. What a relief.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Never had a fear of needles, even as a child, so a lousy lancet was simply an inconvenience

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One word version - FAINT
Funny side of the story- I am not good with blood and needles, so asked Hubby to do the first one for me...got the blood and hadn't set the meter up properly so had to start again - but by then I felt faint, everything went bright and I just laid on the floor til it passed...and burnt my Sons pizza in the meantime :banghead: but within a few attempts I mastered it and am a pro now :cool:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
One word version - FAINT
Funny side of the story- I am not good with blood and needles, so asked Hubby to do the first one for me...got the blood and hadn't set the meter up properly so had to start again - but by then I felt faint, everything went bright and I just laid on the floor til it passed...and burnt my Sons pizza in the meantime :banghead: but within a few attempts I mastered it and am a pro now :cool:

I did that once in hospital when my HUSBAND had a canula inserted. The nurse made a bit of a mess of it somehow and he bled a lot. I just slid off my chair. It was so embarrassing as I was on insulin at the time and you'd have thought I could cope with a bit of blood.

Reactions: AngiH

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It didn't bother me, I just did it (using a Fastclix) BUT when I tested Mr. Blue it was a different matter. He yelled a lot, and that was before he had pressed the top of the pen. Then when he did press it he was very brave and only yelled a bit.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It didn't bother me, I just did it (using a Fastclix) BUT when I tested Mr. Blue it was a different matter. He yelled a lot, and that was before he had pressed the top of the pen. Then when he did press it he was very brave and only yelled a bit.
Men are more sensitive. I know this because my wife had an amniocentesis and was very blasé about it. She was however a bit put out when the nurses abandoned her to look after me feeling faint..