Only second HbA1c and not sure where to go from here?

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys.

I'm 41 and last year (18 month ago) in the January I had my first test done after complaining to the doc about getting a lot of colds. Was supposed to be checking white cell count and instead discovered my BG was at 42 or 43. He told me I was Pre D and to change diet and exercise etc. My dad developed type2 in his 50's,, although I had until then always thought my dad had been partly responsible. He drank and smoked every day , never walked anywhere never mind exercised,, was well overweight and ate anything he liked. He was also the only member of out family to ever get Diabetes so up until then I never thought of any hereditary risk .

At the time I was about 13.5 - 14stone and 5 feet 11",,, I had been casually going to the gym however my diet was fairly high in carbs. At first I thought my test results might have also had something to do with drinking so much Lucozade pre and post gym,,, it had been on offer back then and I can recall drinking about 2 L a day ,,, so no wonder !!

I never went back for another test as I was gong through Army recruitment and didn't want to raise any red flags. Instead I read a lot on here,, doubled my exercise and cut down on carbs. I ran the Great North Run, went swimming, and found I was going to the gym 3 -4 times a week. At first I was doing low carb. low fat and high protein,, but i actually started to lose to much,,within 2 months was only about 11.5 stone! So I started to add more fats,, and although it felt strange eating fry ups to get healthy I thought I would try it for a bit.

My Doc in the Army noticed I had previously been on statins for raised cholesterol, so decided to get me in and do a full new bloods check. I wasn't sure how this would go as I had put a little weight back on. Not much I'm about 12.5 but think it may be down to adding the fats and doing weights in the gym as my waistline hasn't changed much if any. My dad passed away a couple of months ago and I did have a month where I drank more often than normal so was worried that would affect my test as its lager I drink. I have now changed my brand tho to Coors light as I just noticed its only 6g carbs per can as compared to say fosters being 17g

Anyway got the results yesterday and my BG is now 39. My triglycerides which have always been high are now only 1.0 ,, my liver functions which I had previously been diagnosed with fatty liver disease are now normal, However my cholesterol is raised at 6 something when he said it should be no more than 5 something. No doubt down to the fry ups. He ran some risk factor program on his computer and due all the other factors and having a really good blood pressure said my chance of heart problem in next 10yrs is just 2% and risk of Diabetes at 4%.

I think those results are fairly good but what do I do now? In order to lower the chol should I go out and get something like a George Foreman and start grilling instead of frying the bacon and sausages ? Should I be frying in coconut oil or something other than standard veg or olive oil?
Do I still consider myself a Pre D or have I revered it and when (if ever) is there a point where I can relax and stop worrying about it as much,,,, i mean I don't test myself as I know i would just get obsessed,, but could I have the odd carb thing now and again? I do occasionally have porridge but only if I know im going straight to the gym within an hour or two,,, the doc told me thats OTT and the oats would actually help with the cholesterol now and then but to still keep to a fairly low carb diet as its obviously working. Is 39 still fairly high and what kind of number should I be aiming for ?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys.

I'm 41 and last year (18 month ago) in the January I had my first test done after complaining to the doc about getting a lot of colds. Was supposed to be checking white cell count and instead discovered my BG was at 42 or 43. He told me I was Pre D and to change diet and exercise etc. My dad developed type2 in his 50's,, although I had until then always thought my dad had been partly responsible. He drank and smoked every day , never walked anywhere never mind exercised,, was well overweight and ate anything he liked. He was also the only member of out family to ever get Diabetes so up until then I never thought of any hereditary risk .

At the time I was about 13.5 - 14stone and 5 feet 11",,, I had been casually going to the gym however my diet was fairly high in carbs. At first I thought my test results might have also had something to do with drinking so much Lucozade pre and post gym,,, it had been on offer back then and I can recall drinking about 2 L a day ,,, so no wonder !!

I never went back for another test as I was gong through Army recruitment and didn't want to raise any red flags. Instead I read a lot on here,, doubled my exercise and cut down on carbs. I ran the Great North Run, went swimming, and found I was going to the gym 3 -4 times a week. At first I was doing low carb. low fat and high protein,, but i actually started to lose to much,,within 2 months was only about 11.5 stone! So I started to add more fats,, and although it felt strange eating fry ups to get healthy I thought I would try it for a bit.

My Doc in the Army noticed I had previously been on statins for raised cholesterol, so decided to get me in and do a full new bloods check. I wasn't sure how this would go as I had put a little weight back on. Not much I'm about 12.5 but think it may be down to adding the fats and doing weights in the gym as my waistline hasn't changed much if any. My dad passed away a couple of months ago and I did have a month where I drank more often than normal so was worried that would affect my test as its lager I drink. I have now changed my brand tho to Coors light as I just noticed its only 6g carbs per can as compared to say fosters being 17g

Anyway got the results yesterday and my BG is now 39. My triglycerides which have always been high are now only 1.0 ,, my liver functions which I had previously been diagnosed with fatty liver disease are now normal, However my cholesterol is raised at 6 something when he said it should be no more than 5 something. No doubt down to the fry ups. He ran some risk factor program on his computer and due all the other factors and having a really good blood pressure said my chance of heart problem in next 10yrs is just 2% and risk of Diabetes at 4%.

I think those results are fairly good but what do I do now? In order to lower the chol should I go out and get something like a George Foreman and start grilling instead of frying the bacon and sausages ? Should I be frying in coconut oil or something other than standard veg or olive oil?
Do I still consider myself a Pre D or have I revered it and when (if ever) is there a point where I can relax and stop worrying about it as much,,,, i mean I don't test myself as I know i would just get obsessed,, but could I have the odd carb thing now and again? I do occasionally have porridge but only if I know im going straight to the gym within an hour or two,,, the doc told me thats OTT and the oats would actually help with the cholesterol now and then but to still keep to a fairly low carb diet as its obviously working. Is 39 still fairly high and what kind of number should I be aiming for ?

I'd stringly suggest, first stop is to watch this video. Professor Sikaris is a great communicator and speaks in language I could understand. My total cholesterol has always been higher than the recommended levels, but my breakdowns are usually excellent, except for the LDL, which Professor Sikaris discusses in the video.

Having educated my GP on lipids (she takes notes when I go ;)), last time I thought it was going to be another of those special chats; you know what I mean, but instead, she stated that I must be utterly delighted with my numbers. My total cholesterol last time around was 7.4. So, don't panic.

And, excellent work on the HbA1c. You must be extremely happy?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your achievements. The blood test results are superb, and some people on here would die for triglycerides at 1.0. My total cholesterol was up a tad last time, but only because my HDL had increased significantly, which is good. I don't think there is anything for you to worry about at all, and with a risk factor like yours, I would be dancing round the room. As for fry ups etc. contrary to popular belief, they do not cause raised cholesterol. Our bodies manufacture our cholesterol. Only a small percentage comes from diet.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi, personally I wouldn't worry about a total cholesterol of 6-ish - mine is the same, but it's pretty rubbish as an indicator. HDL and trigs are much more significant, and if your total/HDL ratio is less than 4, and your trigs/HDL less than 1.3 I'd be happy.

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers guys ,, I am well pleased with the results. The Cholesterol was the only issue but the Doc said it wasn't bad enough to worry too much about and he didn't recommend the statins as some actually have a potential to cause diabetes according to the manual he looked up,, the fact that my tri's and liver functions are all good is another bonus ,, guess the higher carb diet I was on before was doing me no good.

Reactions: 5 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately with Diabetes you're in it for life but it sounds like you are on the right track so keep up the good work.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What I suggest to prediabetic family members and friends is that just by cutting down/avoiding/cutting out processed food, and by moving/exercising/walking/or sport/ing more, they can hugely affect their prediabetic blood glucose levels and get them into the realm of normal, without much other fuss. I had read a stat in some book that showed a huge improvement could be got just by doing those two things. Sounded good to me.

Now, at this stage of my own diabetes journey, I would also add 'get a meter and start eat and metering. And move and metering'. As well as reading a really good book or two on prediabetes and diabetes. (And reading this forum!) Why? Because two of the prediabetic folk I strongly suggested the initial two things to did not take it seriously enough, and I underestimated how strong the allure of processed food is. I should have known, really. If you don't like cooking, but like yummy tasting food - ripping off the cardboard and seeing a whole dish there just ready and waiting for the microwave and you is just too good! And I still lick my lips walking past advertisements for Mcfries and so on. And as we know - those ads are everywhere! Not to mention that insulin-provoking eventual-insulin-resistance-provoking food.