Open question - can't get insulin for my pump.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
you can now probably get an appointment with your Doctor hopefully in time

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
An update to my predicament, it would appear that my local Boots pharmacy has a box of Novorapid awaiting my collection.
I am told , as I phoned to ask ! as yet I have no response from my local surgery, gp, or diabetes nurse despite my last 3 letters containing mobile, home telephone numbers and e-mail address. As of today I now have two weeks supply of insulin, slightly happier, but I know that in another weeks time I will face the same problem. I simply cannot get clear in my little head why healthcare professionals do not understand the need for insulin and diabetes and how the two work together.
I thank all for the kind words, suggestions and information, it is a breath of fresh air to deal with people who understand what it is to have diabetes.

Oh goodness, how awful & most unhelpful. Do hope in the 2 weeks the GPs can resolve the situation, so it's on your repeat! When I changed over in April, I rung & spoke to a GP who added it the next day. Fingers crossed......

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
Dear all

A small technical hitch has befallen me to which I could really do with some help to resolve,
Let me explain his in simple terms, I have had a new Roche insulin pump for just under one month, a jolly smart tool it is and I am quite fond of it, however, since supply of the new pump without insulin to suit I have had to ask weekly for more insulin from the following,
Consultant at Basingstoke hospital
Senior diabetes nurse at Basingstoke hospital
Reception team at Pinehill surgery Bordon
Pharmacist at Boots the chemist at Bordon
I have written and hand delivered 3 separate letters to my surgery asking in the polices terms for a new prescription, explaining the need for my insulin use and confirming the new pump I use jess a different type of insulin from my old pump.
I have e-mailed my consultant who agreed to the pump being offered to me, no response to date, no response today cram the diabetes team senior nurse. A great response from Novo Nordisk telling me that as insulin was a prescription only drug, I could not purchase directly. (yes I was willing to pay for insulin myself),
I use a pump as I have no working pancreas, I did not ask for this issue, and for the past 22 years have attended appointments, been pleasant to people, and jumped through all of the hoops placed in front of me in terms of education, blood testing and appointments.
I have been asking for insulin for the past month and now am abut to run out, if this happens I will remove my pump, turn it off and instruct my wife to call am ambulance at the appropriate time.
Sounds a little dramatic, but I see no other options. To say that I am a little angry is an understatement, in. I have insulin until Thursday of next week, I have said this same line to all and everyone, I am not sure how much clearer I can be

Mod edit to remove contact details.

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
No don't call an ambulance as poor guys have enough on their hands but I will go to whom you get your prescription and verbalise to them you need a prescription for the insulin as the pump needs to be fed and if not go to their A&E And ask to be seen. After it's sorted file a complain to the ones not giving you the prescription as it's not on due to them wanting you to have hyper or even dka as those are the repurcusions of high sugars or when you go to ask for a prescription and they don't ask for their complaint procedure to follow and complain there as well but depending on how you feel

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods