Open question - can't get insulin for my pump.

j400jmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who moan abut being a diabetic.
Dear all

A small technical hitch has befallen me to which I could really do with some help to resolve,
Let me explain his in simple terms, I have had a new Roche insulin pump for just under one month, a jolly smart tool it is and I am quite fond of it, however, since supply of the new pump without insulin to suit I have had to ask weekly for more insulin from the following,
Consultant at Basingstoke hospital
Senior diabetes nurse at Basingstoke hospital
Reception team at Pinehill surgery Bordon
Pharmacist at Boots the chemist at Bordon
I have written and hand delivered 3 separate letters to my surgery asking in the polices terms for a new prescription, explaining the need for my insulin use and confirming the new pump I use jess a different type of insulin from my old pump.
I have e-mailed my consultant who agreed to the pump being offered to me, no response to date, no response today cram the diabetes team senior nurse. A great response from Novo Nordisk telling me that as insulin was a prescription only drug, I could not purchase directly. (yes I was willing to pay for insulin myself),
I use a pump as I have no working pancreas, I did not ask for this issue, and for the past 22 years have attended appointments, been pleasant to people, and jumped through all of the hoops placed in front of me in terms of education, blood testing and appointments.
I have been asking for insulin for the past month and now am abut to run out, if this happens I will remove my pump, turn it off and instruct my wife to call am ambulance at the appropriate time.
Sounds a little dramatic, but I see no other options. To say that I am a little angry is an understatement, in. I have insulin until Thursday of next week, I have said this same line to all and everyone, I am not sure how much clearer I can be

Mod edit to remove contact details.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How stressful! Have you spoken to the Practice Manager at your surgery?

My DSN faxed my surgery my insulin details so they could change it but I'm still having a few problems. I found the most helpful person was the Practice Manager.

Reactions: Freema

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seems a bit ridiculous as this should have all been in place before you moved over to your pump, usually the pump DSN/Consultant will write to the surgery informing them of a change in prescription.

In your position I would go down to the gp surgery in the morning and insist on seeing a gp and explain all to them, they can't refuse you insulin so don't take NO for an answer.

Reactions: azure

j400jmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you for your responses,
So far my wife has spoken to the practice manager, receptionist and pharmacist.
I have lost a day at work (120.00) to visit the practice to be told I could not see a GP, and the only registered and qualified nurse at the surgery could not amend an existing prescription as she did not know enough about insulin, my patience and calm at this response was put to the test. Manufacturers have confirmed they will not sell directly to me, as insulin is prescription only, fancy that. I have tonight e-mailed Roche and Novo again, I have also looked at direct purchase from overseas. I have also tried to move GP only to be told I face a waiting its of several months. I feel like returning to cigarettes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's shocking : O I would make an official complaint about your treatment. Diabetes is stressful enough without having to deal with unnecessary stuff like this.

I wouldn't bother with Roche or Novo. Try your DSN again and ask them to fax a prescription request to your surgery.

I can't believe your surgery's response!

Could you visit and speak n person with the Manager? That's what I had to do as they kept giving me the wrong insulin, even changing my prescription because they thought they 'knew best'.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anufacturers have confirmed they will not sell directly to me, as insulin is prescription only,

What they've said is correct, pursue it again with your gp surgery tomorrow, if all else fails you can go back to using your pens until you get the matter resolved, but it really shouldn't come to that.

Hope you get things sorted.

j400jmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
DSN has already faxed surgery, practice manager has proved no help. Have run out of patience to visit surgery and be told I cannot see a GP, think I will probably explode . No one at surgery seems to understand what will happen to me when insulin is gone.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why not go to Practice and refuse to move from reception desk until you have spoken to practice manager and have your insulin?

Be prepared for them to threaten police. If police arrive. Tell them the GPs are acting illegally refusing insulin.

Then get a bystander to phone a pre planned number of the local press??

Yes, extreme but it is what I would do.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm glad @donnellysdogs has said what she did. It aligns with the approach I'd take. As it's Diabetes Awareness month, contacting the BBC and making a racket locally is also not a bad idea.

j400jmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
For recent responses to my current problem, I am grateful, however creating further problems, police, and in general being a bloody nuisance, why!. All I am and have been asking for from my DSN, Consultant, GP, Surgery team is for staff to do what they are paid for from the public purse. I will not involve myself in making the situation worse, but rather take a step back, life is too short to argue, whine and battle.
NB Still looking to purchase Novorapid, can pay in cash and collect.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You don't need to do anything drastic like involving the Police :)

Just go down to the surgery and ask for an emergency appointment, failing that present yourself to the diabetes clinic and don't leave until they give you a prescription and promise to contact your gp surgery again.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
As you are on the roche pump ( accucheck insight ?? )
are you looking to be prescribed the novorapid pre-filled 160 unit cartridges ??

as a short term measure can you get your DSN ( at hospital ) to write a prescription for a month supply.
this should give you some breathing space to get a repeat sorted with your GP

also --I know it is a total pain in the backside -- but you do have insulin pens and your MDI insulins as back up
( as we all should in case of pump failure ) ??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sometimes you have to make an exceptional stand!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@j400jmo Have the surgery given you any reason why they won't change your prescription?

My surgery were just ignorant and didn't get that what they were prescribing wasn't suitable for my needs. It was like imwas banging my head against a brick wall until I phoned the Practice Manager, asked to make an official complaint and said I would be taking it further if it wasn't sorted.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have just found out
..only a GP doctor, Nurse practitioner ,Or Pharmacist (attached to gp surgery) is allowed to add it to prescriptions at my surgery I use.

j400jmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
An update to my predicament, it would appear that my local Boots pharmacy has a box of Novorapid awaiting my collection.
I am told , as I phoned to ask ! as yet I have no response from my local surgery, gp, or diabetes nurse despite my last 3 letters containing mobile, home telephone numbers and e-mail address. As of today I now have two weeks supply of insulin, slightly happier, but I know that in another weeks time I will face the same problem. I simply cannot get clear in my little head why healthcare professionals do not understand the need for insulin and diabetes and how the two work together.
I thank all for the kind words, suggestions and information, it is a breath of fresh air to deal with people who understand what it is to have diabetes.

Reactions: himtoo and Jaylee

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@j400jmo. Is the issue that you have no supply of insulin or that you have no supply of insulin that works with your pump?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
An update to my predicament, it would appear that my local Boots pharmacy has a box of Novorapid awaiting my collection.
I am told , as I phoned to ask ! as yet I have no response from my local surgery, gp, or diabetes nurse despite my last 3 letters containing mobile, home telephone numbers and e-mail address. As of today I now have two weeks supply of insulin, slightly happier, but I know that in another weeks time I will face the same problem. I simply cannot get clear in my little head why healthcare professionals do not understand the need for insulin and diabetes and how the two work together.
I thank all for the kind words, suggestions and information, it is a breath of fresh air to deal with people who understand what it is to have diabetes.

Be positive... you have two weeks to get this issue resolved...

Are you an online patient for prescriptions at your Practice?