Operation Question

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone.
I had a surgery yesterday. It was minor, but I was still under general anaesthetic.
I couldn't have asked for a better experience! But just to confirm . . . between not eating or drinking before the operation, missed doses of diabetes meds, stress, etc. it's perfectly natural for my blood glucose levels to be elevated? I thought they'd go down once I'd eaten but they went even higher.
Thank you!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone.
I had a surgery yesterday. It was minor, but I was still under general anaesthetic.
I couldn't have asked for a better experience! But just to confirm . . . between not eating or drinking before the operation, missed doses of diabetes meds, stress, etc. it's perfectly natural for my blood glucose levels to be elevated? I thought they'd go down once I'd eaten but they went even higher.
Thank you!
It could take a few days to settle, @neithskye . Surgery and general anaesthetic can be a bit of a shock to the system. Also, missing meds, and any other meds added into the mix during the surgery.
Relax and carry on as usual with meds and food. Hope you soon feel fully recovered.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had surgery recently and my bloods were all over the place. The only thing I can suggest is that now the surgery is over concentrate on getting back into your normal food/medication regime and don't worry about what is past. Hope you have a good recovery.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you feel better soon.
General anaesthetics sometimes take ages to work their way out of the system with all sorts of strange side effects (like constipation, brain fog, etc.) so just take it easy and get back to your usual regime as you can.
Your blood glucose should settle when everything else settles, but if it doesn't and you have any worries, then call 111 (if you are in the UK) for a phone consult. The lines will, I am sure, be open all over Xmas.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @Pipp, @Bittern, and @Brunneria. I feel very well. I noticed the effects of LCHF when recovering - felt healthy, alert. And I had a pretty quick recovery time. Just had a delicious egg, mushrooms, and red onions omelette with cucumber and red pepper slices on the side.

@Bittern I hope you are also recovering well from your surgery.

Reactions: kitedoc and Pipp

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had surgery under anaesthetic this time last year, along with a steroid jab. My blood sugars took a week to ten days to settle back down. Wishing you well for a speedy recovery x

Reactions: kitedoc

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had surgery under anaesthetic this time last year, along with a steroid jab. My blood sugars took a week to ten days to settle back down. Wishing you well for a speedy recovery x
Thank you.

A few hours ago my BG was 14.7. (!!!) I haven't had a reading that high since I was first diagnosed. Took a nap and now it's 3.9. (???) It's all over the place.

I guess the important thing is I feel well. Not getting high sugar or low sugar symptoms, no headache, etc. I feel pretty darn good for someone who had surgery 36 hours ago so I'll just wait out these puzzling readings.

Reactions: kitedoc

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you still in hospital, @neithskye ? It could be the hospital food!
Hope things are settling down now.

Reactions: neithskye