Oranges

pms543

Me again with what is perhaps a simple question....

A friend whos husband is T2 mentioned not to eat oranges , juice and such as they are not good for me..

Now, after buying a double pack yesterday coz of the Vit C...do I bin or do I eat?

anniep

I can't eat oranges or orange juice myself. But do you a meter yet? if you have a meter why not try an orange and see what effect it has? you can always bin them afterwards.

pms543

Actually Annie I have just said to my other half..need to buy one as not seeing a doc / nurse till 13th and want to be getting on..

Petal50

I am up quite early of a morning and can't face breakfast for afew hours later so as daft as it sounds i have taken to having a small orange or clementine type orange after going out for a walk with the dogs. I have found it has no ill effect, it also takes away any hunger/sicky morning feelings.
Goes to show we are not all the same.
only way to find if certain foods are causing high bg levels is to try it and test.
I cant eat grapes or raw apples though.

jane22

It just shows how different we all are. I have only found out which fruits suit me by testing. Oranges and juice unfortunately send my BG too high along with melon, apples and grapes. Bananas however are ok especially if I have one with some plain yogurt. I seem to do best on berries especially raspberries and strawberries.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
My understanding is that oranges and orange juice are to be avoided if you have diabetes.

I've also leant that, providing you are NOT on meds; statins in particular, then pink grapefruit is the best to take/drink.

I always have a carton of the Tesco's own brand pink grapefruit juice in the fridge and drink some every day. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ardbeg said:
My understanding is that oranges and orange juice are to be avoided if you have diabetes.

Can't think of one reason why this would be unless there is another medical condition on-going such as acid reflux/stomach related conditions. Oranges are a great source of vitamin C and dietary fibre, and are a low-gi fruit rated at only 43 on the glycemic index.

Like many other foods, we will all react differently and the only way of knowing how a particular food raises bg is monitoring thereafter.

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Nigel,

I read it on a few websites I visited whilst in my early days panic period. :wink:

Since then I've avoided oranges wherever possible and never eaten another banana since either. Still eat apples though and strawberries, raspberries, blueberies, etc

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's much easier to drink a relatively large amount of carbohydrate (mainly sugar) in the form of orange juice than it is to eat the same amount of carbohydrate in oranges / clementines etc - would take several fruits to make the same amount of juice, slowed down by peeling. Eating fruit also gives the advantage of fibre, if that's what you want / need.