Origin of this site?

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I'm pretty new to this site, which on the whole I find very informative. But one thing still puzzles me: who is behind it?

I mean, the recognised diabetes charity in the UK is diabetes.org.uk, and the internet naming standards say that a .co.uk suffix normally represents something with a commercial interest. Can anyone offer me a potted history of this site, please? Especially in terms of who owns it. Seeing things like "a community website" (the site's About page) is pretty amorphous. Somebody must be paying for all this!

I mean, obviously this doesn't seem to have any bearing on the content on here, I'm just interested.

Last edited:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
internet naming standards say that a .co.uk suffix normally represents something with a commercial interest.
Exactly. Have a look around the wider site, there are quite a few things you can buy and some members do seem to get invited to take part in industry surveys and trials, for which the site is paid, or so I understand. Nothing is free in this life, but that doesn't mean that the forum and information on the site isn't useful.
Sally

Reactions: hurf0rd