Other autoimmune diseases linked to T1D?

C

CelalDari

Does anyone with T1D in this forum have other autoimmune conditions? If so, did it develop before or after T1D?

Just curious because apparently statistically 15-20% of T1 diabetics have a autoimmune thyroid disorder.

Not sure on the others really. Would be great to hear from some of you as I’m newly diagnosed

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, Lichus Planus arrived two years before diabetes. Lots of auto immune conditions in my close family too. Including a sibling with Type 1.

Reactions: CelalDari
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning, I have a couple of autoimmune conditions including oral Lichen Planus, but not thyroid and all of mine came after Type 1. Autoimmune conditions tend to go hand in hand, but they are manageable.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have coeliac disease (gluten-intolerance) as well as T1, it came about 28 years after my T1 diagnosis (quite possibly earlier cos I think I was an undiagnosed coeliac for a fair number of years).
No thryoid issues for me though

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have coeliac disease (gluten-intolerance) as well as T1, it came about 28 years after my T1 diagnosis (quite possibly earlier cos I think I was an undiagnosed coeliac for a fair number of years).
No thryoid issues for me though

I have coeliac too, about 8 years now.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People judging my condition not knowing enough about it.
Morning, I have an under active thyroid as well as rheumatoid arthritis. Both conditions after Type 1. Have been Type 1 for 48 years now.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fairly new to T1 but developed psoriasis twenty years ago - it’s totally manageable thankfully and a breeze compared to diabetes!

Reactions: Rusty_Sweetbread

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 in August 1964. By 1971 I had developed an over-active thyroid and after a complete failure to suppress it with drugs, I finally had a partial throidectomy in April 1976. Still wish they'd just got on with the surgery option straight away. There was a family history of thyroid issues, but not type 1. After that, both my younger brother and youngest sister were diagnosed type 1.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Yep I have alopricia, was told by doc “ you have one auto immune disease , not surprised that u have another “

Babyweed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Psoriasis of the nails for about 30 years and thyroid about 3 years before t1 diagnosis. All manageable

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not me but my sibling has rheumatoid arthritis since she was a child

Bluepoppy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone with T1D in this forum have other autoimmune conditions? If so, did it develop before or after T1D?

Just curious because apparently statistically 15-20% of T1 diabetics have a autoimmune thyroid disorder.

Not sure on the others really. Would be great to hear from some of you as I’m newly diagnosed
I have hypothyroidism and was diagnosed 9 years previous to type 1 diagnosis

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Whilst I'm not T1, I come from a family with auto-immune (AI) conditions littered throughout it.

Three years ago, when I saw an Endo about something not related to diabetes, he took a really comprehensive medical and family history, and to be honest, only myself and my brother were, at the time AI condition free. As a result, he tested me for a massive number of AI conditions - everything from thyroiditis, to coeliac disease, to lupus, to general connective disease, to rheumatoid arthritis and some really weird and not too wonderful ones.

He was astonished when my results were all either negative or inconclusive. I seem to be dodging bullets. Every time I see him (last time last month), he asks if anything AI has been diagnosed yet, and gives throwaway remarks to watch out for sneaky old LADA.

Whilst I keep these potentials in mind, I don't allow those potentials to prevent me from getting on with my life, and I certainly don't wait for it to happen.

I would say, right now, you have enough on your plate learning to adapt to a life with T1. You mentioned elsewhere you have a lot of time on your hands at the moment - lots of folks do. However, whilst it is great you have time to do a bit of research on your diagnosis, I would urge you not to become fixated on what might be, and what other unfortunate things might befall you.

Yes, many people living with AI conditions do pick up other(s) along the way, but equally so, many, many don't, just in the same way many without T1 can be diagnosed with one or more AI conditions.

I'd urge you to get on living your best life, and get your prep in place for whatever Uni will look like for you this academic year. I suspect quite a bit of it will still be virtual, which is unfortunate for sure.

Petra4.4

Hi there :)
I have type 1 for about 18 years and one autoimmune disorder developed simultaneously with diabetes at age 3 (autoimune hepatatis), the second one developed when i was around 17 ( polycystic ovaries) and the third one developes now at age 21 ( hypothyroidism)

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi when I was originally diagnosed three years ago with no family history not being over weight i asked why me and they said it could be to me having had infectious hepatitis as a child in 1969 I will be 57 next week, I may have been prone to it all my life but because I never had any reason to make me think I had diabetes it went undetected it was due to me having thrush i could not clear up, weight loss and the constant need to use the loo they tested me, I was shocked the two could be related as I was never to!d anything all my life and unless you show symptoms they never mention it, I also have an under active Thyroid and have been told once you have had one autoimmune illness you are prone to others

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diagnosed with diabetes when I was 1, didn’t know this till a doctor told me but apparently Restless Leg Syndrome is classed as an autoimmune disease lol. Diagnosed with that when I was around 18/19.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Lots of autoimmune conditions in the family: asthma, excema, rheumatoid arthritis, acquired haemophilia, and me with T1.