1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ottolenghi - Simple

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by BibaBee, Jan 6, 2019.

1. BibaBee

BibaBee Family member · Well-Known Member

I got this lovely recipe book for Christmas
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ottolenghi-SIMPLE-Yotam/dp/1785031163

I was surprised to discover how many low-carb recipes there are or ones that are easily adaptable. I know there are lots of foodies on here....I'm happy to report back on any recipes we try for those who are interested. Just let me know!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TrendyD

TrendyD Prediabetes · Active Member

Hi Bibabee
    I’d be interested especially if they are easy!
    Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BibaBee

Well, here goes. I know Christmas is over but I couldn't resist giving these festive cookies a go. I replaced the sugar with xylitol (my preference would be ethyritol but I have a bag of xylitol I need to use up) and I used half a teaspoon each of ginger, cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of cardamom and allspice instead Chinese 5 spice. My Chinese 5 spice mix has onion and garlic in it which I didn't fancy much in cookies! :yuck: I'm sure you could just use mixed spice. I used a tiny star cutter and got 54 cookies out of the dough instead of the 18 stated in the recipe. I reckon just under 1.5 carbs per cookie, but it will depend on the cocoa used and choice of sweetner.

The verdict? A resounding success. Possibly a tad sweet so needs tweaking but definitely something for Christmas next year. They are somewhere between a cookie and a brownie in texture...nice and chewy. They are delicious with coffee! :D

Recipe is here if anyone wants to try it: https://www.penguin.com.au/recipes/2075-brunsli-chocolate-cookies

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    #3 BibaBee, Jan 6, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  4. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

I may just have to add that to my stash of Ottolenghi recipe books - Ive already got Plenty, More plenty and Jerusalem

• Like Like x 1
  5. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@BibaBee those look soooo tempting. Wonder if the dough would behave with no sweetener of any kind? (I’m afraid of setting myself up for eating too many).

• Like Like x 1
  6. BibaBee

I think they would be quite bitter due to the cocoa. Definitely scope to reduce the amount of sweetner though. I'll use ethyritol in the same ratio as sugar next time, as the xylitol was a tad sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BibaBee

Ah...I've got Plenty but not looked at it since we went LCHF. Is it worth revisiting do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

When I had a look through both Plenty and Plenty more I found a a fair few recipes in each that are either ok in themselves or can be made to fir LCHF with some easy tweaks. Jerusalem on the other hand offered only meagre pickings - far too many recipes in there relied on pulses or grains

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I made cookies,etc without any sweetening when I first went low carb and before I discovered eythritol and stevia so I reckon it's worth a try. They definitely look very yummy though, don't they!

• Like Like x 1
  10. kevbee

kevbee · Member

Whose Chinese 5 spice do you use? It normally has cinnamon, star anise, fennel, pepper and cloves.

11. BibaBee

Ottolenghi is a Israeli-British chef who has published quite a few recipe books. His style of cooking is middle eastern and Mediterranean. This isn't a low carb book, so carb totals are not printed, but I just use My Fitness Pal to calculate carbs. Not all of the recipes are suitable for LC or may need tweaks here and there. We don't quite follow Keto and are more LC (30-50g per day, but rarely at the top end). If you want a recipe book with carb totals, you could try Tom Kerridge's "Dopamine Diet". Some of the recipes are a bit on the high side for Keto, but plenty on the lower side and carb totals are printed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BibaBee

It was a Schwartz one I think.....with added garlic and onion! Not really right for cookies,

13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

I had an ooooopsie moment a couple of years ago with Chinese 5 Spice. I accidentally put some on my breakfast yoghurt, instead of cinnamon.

It's fair ro say there was no "Eureka!" moment involved. I don't recommend it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Every version of five spice I have looked at had either sugar and salt as the main ingredients.
    Abandoned the search.

15. FantomPoet

FantomPoet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also got the Simple book from Ottolenghi at Christmas and have been loving the new taste experiences. It does give you a challenge finding the herbs and spices (there are ten out there ones) but not all recipes needs them and only the odd one in each. It's clean and simple food which in general is low carb. It's the first time I have baked a celeriac but it's the best tasting celeriac i've had.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook