Ottolenghi - Simple

TrendyD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got this lovely recipe book for Christmas
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ottolenghi-SIMPLE-Yotam/dp/1785031163

I was surprised to discover how many low-carb recipes there are or ones that are easily adaptable. I know there are lots of foodies on here....I'm happy to report back on any recipes we try for those who are interested. Just let me know!

Hi Bibabee
I’d be interested especially if they are easy!
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, here goes. I know Christmas is over but I couldn't resist giving these festive cookies a go. I replaced the sugar with xylitol (my preference would be ethyritol but I have a bag of xylitol I need to use up) and I used half a teaspoon each of ginger, cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of cardamom and allspice instead Chinese 5 spice. My Chinese 5 spice mix has onion and garlic in it which I didn't fancy much in cookies! :yuck: I'm sure you could just use mixed spice. I used a tiny star cutter and got 54 cookies out of the dough instead of the 18 stated in the recipe. I reckon just under 1.5 carbs per cookie, but it will depend on the cocoa used and choice of sweetner.

The verdict? A resounding success. Possibly a tad sweet so needs tweaking but definitely something for Christmas next year. They are somewhere between a cookie and a brownie in texture...nice and chewy. They are delicious with coffee! :D

Recipe is here if anyone wants to try it: https://www.penguin.com.au/recipes/2075-brunsli-chocolate-cookies

Attachments

• 3FCBD371-C8F0-44D1-B960-B5EDC459F9CE.jpeg
    3FCBD371-C8F0-44D1-B960-B5EDC459F9CE.jpeg
    661.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may just have to add that to my stash of Ottolenghi recipe books - Ive already got Plenty, More plenty and Jerusalem

Reactions: jjraak

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@BibaBee those look soooo tempting. Wonder if the dough would behave with no sweetener of any kind? (I’m afraid of setting myself up for eating too many).

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee those look soooo tempting. Wonder if the dough would behave with no sweetener of any kind? (I’m afraid of setting myself up for eating too many).
I think they would be quite bitter due to the cocoa. Definitely scope to reduce the amount of sweetner though. I'll use ethyritol in the same ratio as sugar next time, as the xylitol was a tad sweet.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may just have to add that to my stash of Ottolenghi recipe books - Ive already got Plenty, More plenty and Jerusalem
Ah...I've got Plenty but not looked at it since we went LCHF. Is it worth revisiting do you think?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah...I've got Plenty but not looked at it since we went LCHF. Is it worth revisiting do you think?
When I had a look through both Plenty and Plenty more I found a a fair few recipes in each that are either ok in themselves or can be made to fir LCHF with some easy tweaks. Jerusalem on the other hand offered only meagre pickings - far too many recipes in there relied on pulses or grains

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made cookies,etc without any sweetening when I first went low carb and before I discovered eythritol and stevia so I reckon it's worth a try. They definitely look very yummy though, don't they!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
never heard of this ottolenghi, whatever it is. Does the recipe book post carb totals per serving?
Ottolenghi is a Israeli-British chef who has published quite a few recipe books. His style of cooking is middle eastern and Mediterranean. This isn't a low carb book, so carb totals are not printed, but I just use My Fitness Pal to calculate carbs. Not all of the recipes are suitable for LC or may need tweaks here and there. We don't quite follow Keto and are more LC (30-50g per day, but rarely at the top end). If you want a recipe book with carb totals, you could try Tom Kerridge's "Dopamine Diet". Some of the recipes are a bit on the high side for Keto, but plenty on the lower side and carb totals are printed.

Reactions: Speedbird

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whose Chinese 5 spice do you use? It normally has cinnamon, star anise, fennel, pepper and cloves.
It was a Schwartz one I think.....with added garlic and onion! Not really right for cookies,

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a Schwartz one I think.....with added garlic and onion! Not really right for cookies,

I had an ooooopsie moment a couple of years ago with Chinese 5 Spice. I accidentally put some on my breakfast yoghurt, instead of cinnamon.

It's fair ro say there was no "Eureka!" moment involved. I don't recommend it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Whose Chinese 5 spice do you use? It normally has cinnamon, star anise, fennel, pepper and cloves.
Every version of five spice I have looked at had either sugar and salt as the main ingredients.
Abandoned the search.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also got the Simple book from Ottolenghi at Christmas and have been loving the new taste experiences. It does give you a challenge finding the herbs and spices (there are ten out there ones) but not all recipes needs them and only the odd one in each. It's clean and simple food which in general is low carb. It's the first time I have baked a celeriac but it's the best tasting celeriac i've had.