Out of date test strips over or under read

Laconic

Hi all

As the title suggests, I would like to do some testing mainly 2 hours after meals, found my accu chek performa nano and test strips expired June 2020 .
I’m guessing there not safe to use, but if I did would they over or under read would I have to add or subtract a figure to get an accurate reading.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest there is no way of really knowing, they could be accurate, they could show low, they could show high, or they may just not work

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd buy a new pot of teststrips. I wouldn't expect the changes to be predictable.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I can't help, as I have never had any out of date strips to use.

D

Deleted member 543160

My original meter over 7 years ago was a Nano which I used for about a year. I recently resurrected it after my current Contour Next mysteriously went walk about. and I found some well expired Accu Chek strips. I used these as a last resort while in the process of replacing the Contour, then also tried both side by side for a few days out of curiosity as the Nano was giving me very similar figures to those from my Contour o_Oo_O. To say the least I was more than slightly gobsmacked, so it may be worth a try to see how using your old strips might compare with your recent readings, but I wouldn't necessarily rely on them!

Laconic

Hi all just parted with £20 to buy some new strips results not much difference the old strips were over reading by 0.1 mmol
But least I can be certain now