1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Out of date test strips over or under read

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Laconic, May 25, 2022.

1. Laconic

Laconic · Well-Known Member

Hi all

As the title suggests, I would like to do some testing mainly 2 hours after meals, found my accu chek performa nano and test strips expired June 2020 .
    I’m guessing there not safe to use, but if I did would they over or under read would I have to add or subtract a figure to get an accurate reading.

2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To be honest there is no way of really knowing, they could be accurate, they could show low, they could show high, or they may just not work

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd buy a new pot of teststrips. I wouldn't expect the changes to be predictable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help, as I have never had any out of date strips to use.

5. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My original meter over 7 years ago was a Nano which I used for about a year. I recently resurrected it after my current Contour Next mysteriously went walk about. and I found some well expired Accu Chek strips. I used these as a last resort while in the process of replacing the Contour, then also tried both side by side for a few days out of curiosity as the Nano was giving me very similar figures to those from my Contour o_Oo_O. To say the least I was more than slightly gobsmacked, so it may be worth a try to see how using your old strips might compare with your recent readings, but I wouldn't necessarily rely on them!

6. Laconic

Laconic · Well-Known Member

Hi all just parted with £20 to buy some new strips results not much difference the old strips were over reading by 0.1 mmol
    But least I can be certain now

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook