over 70 , diabetic, High Blood pressure etc

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
so been told to stay in however I have a 94 year old mother who i clean for and make sure she is safe, how can I stay in own home ....wish I knew the answer!! also had a sore throat and runny nose now for 14 days arghhh
Question.
What would you all do , carry on or stay in.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
so been told to stay in however I have a 94 year old mother who i clean for and make sure she is safe, how can I stay in own home ....wish I knew the answer!! also had a sore throat and runny nose now for 14 days arghhh
Question.
What would you all do , carry on or stay in.
Good morning Patsy
This must be quite an issue for you. Firstly the good news is you may 'just' have a bad cold... I say just even this is not a good condition to pass on to your Mother, If you do not have any other symptoms such as a high temperature and a persistent cough then you should still stay in as you will be at risk yourself. The situation with your Mum is something that perhaps another member of family or a friend could help with. Also go on the internet and seek out any people who live near her who can drop in and help her.

After 14 days you should be showing signs of improvement regarding your cold, it may be prudent to ask if your doctor could drop in to see you Patsy. I hope that things soon get resolved, stay warm and ensure that you drink plenty of water... and gin ;)
Perhaps not the gin.

Po

Reactions: PatsyB

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Is there anyone who can make sure she is okay, from one day to the next? Perhaps it might be a good idea to stay away if you can get some help for her for the next few weeks. Any community based groups that could help?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t visit her.
Your own symptoms may be highly infectious (whether covid-19 or something else), and then if she caught it, she would be in a very high risk situation.

Presumably you can check on her several times a day by phone?

is there someone you know, family, friend, neighbour, who could go round, knock on the door, and check on her from a safe distance of 2+ metres?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well I did get social services in to assess her but she was a model patient ...and she said she was not willing to pay a private agency to come in twice a week to shower her ...so am left with it my brothers seem to think it my duty one brother goes on a Thursday and does a bit of shopping for her my other brothers well they working...good news is my throat has healed fingers crossed

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well I did get social services in to assess her but she was a model patient ...and she said she was not willing to pay a private agency to come in twice a week to shower her ...so am left with it my brothers seem to think it my duty one brother goes on a Thursday and does a bit of shopping for her my other brothers well they working...good news is my throat has healed fingers crossed
Sounds like the mother of a friend of mine who’d spent 6 weeks seriously ill in hospital and when she was discharged social services arranged for her to have carers in 3 times during the day and someone overnight but within 2 days she’d sent them away and told social services that ‘her daughter would look after her’ - my friend wasn’t pleased and was extremely angry particularly as she lives 12 miles away.