Over correct for big highs, under correct for just above target range?

flowerpower13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey

I have a weird question.
So when my blood sugar is high, it takes more insulin than usual (for example over 16mmol) to bring myself down by 3mmol than it does if I’m closer to range.
I know that sounds obvious, but it seems that I would have to overcorrect sometimes taking 2 extra units for 16mmol to get into range. I could be at 10mmol and correct with 1 unit and drop to 4 (this can happen even when my trend on my Libre is steady and not dropping).
I’ve noticed this happens a lot with me and wanted to know if this happens to anyone else.
My normal isf is 1:3.

So in essence, are blood sugars more stubborn the higher they are and Does insulin sensitivity go out the window when your sugars are high?

Thankss

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @flowerpower13 Yes I get insulin resistance the higher I go and it's the same for most of us (I think!) I certainly get it when I go above 12 mmol/l and have to increase my ratio the further up I go, it's one of those things that as long as you are aware and are confident to adjust then you can apply the rules when you start going high, just be careful with insulin on board already to avoid stacking and also before bedtime too, I tend to wait for my meter to show a fall on my levels before I go to bed and that most of my insulin has been depleted first as I try to avoid night time hypos.

flowerpower13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @flowerpower13 Yes I get insulin resistance the higher I go and it's the same for most of us (I think!) I certainly get it when I go above 12 mmol/l and have to increase my ratio the further up I go, it's one of those things that as long as you are aware and are confident to adjust then you can apply the rules when you start going high, just be careful with insulin on board already to avoid stacking and also before bedtime too, I tend to wait for my meter to show a fall on my levels before I go to bed and that most of my insulin has been depleted first as I try to avoid night time hypos.

Ohhh thanks! I genuinely thought it was just me. I guess I have some more ratios to work on now haha!

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Same here, I gotta increase my insulin 'ratio' when my blood is over 14-16.
If blood sugar stays 'stuck' for a couple of days, I do 'control days' e.g., I just eat apples and maybe cornflakes/ ricekrispies/ rye crackers for 2 days, til the blood sugars drop. On control days, I test aaall the time, before and after exercising, before and 2 and a half hours after meals.
I find increased insulin to carb ratios mean my weight piles on really quickly.