Overnight hypos without insulin

Dawnandkids

Morning all. I wondered if I could ask your advice. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes around 10 months ago. She has the dexcom sensor and omnipod pump. She is still very little and possibly has some honeymoon period still ongoing so she doesn’t have basal insulin between 8pm and 6am. Despite this recently she’s having hypos between 2am -5am- to around 2.8-3.1. We are generally giving her 4-5 dextrosol a night to keep her sugars up. We’ve checked the dexcom reading with blood glucose testing and it seems to be correct.
Anyone got any ideas? There is no reason I can see that her residual pancreatic function would overcompensate like this?
Thanks

Reactions: mansingh01

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Which insulins is your daughter taking? Basal insulins can be effective from 8 to 36 hours depending on which one. Ask your consultant about testing her basal dosage.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which insulins is your daughter taking? Basal insulins can be effective from 8 to 36 hours depending on which one. Ask your consultant about testing her basal dosage.
The OP's kid is on a pump with no basal.
The basal is turned off at night because she is so sensitive to insulin.
So, the problem is not slow acting insulin.

Dawnandkids

Thanks. Yeh she just uses a pump with short acting insulin which turns off at 8pm. I think I’m just going to need to keep an eye on it and speak to the consultant if it carries on. Thanks for your interest and help. X