Ozempic suggested but scared of rocking the proverbial boat!

Stephyr7783

Hi,

I’ve been on a basal bolus regime since last October, after a shaky start I’m now used to the foibles of insulin controlled diabetes and have managed a consistent lowering of my HbA1C.( now standing at 53) I’m hoping to have a HbA1C well within the 40s within the next couple of month.
My GP ( also an endocrinologist, just not mine) has suggested I try the once weekly Ozempic to further aid my glycaemic control as I have PCOS so insulin resistance is my issue. The thing is having got a decent-ish handle on my diabetes now I’m slightly reluctant to add another treatment into the mix for fear of rocking that proverbial boat! Especially when I have tried another of the same class of drugs (GLP-1 RA) before to no avail.

I’m a med student going into clinical placement for the next year and my husband has brain cancer so life is busy and often stressful and I don’t really have the time nor energy to have to deal with side effects/potential hypos etc ( I mean who does!? )
So here is my quandary…Do I keep doing as I have been and hope that that and further weight loss will be enough to drop my HbA1C into an acceptable range or do I chance my luck with the Ozempic and keep my fingers crossed I start and become established on it unscathed.

Has anyone in a similar situation tried Ozempic? How did you find it?

Side note: I have a history of acute pancreatitis and I’ve had laser treatment on diabetic retinopathy, both of which are listed as Cautions when being prescribed Ozempic

Many thanks for reading this long winded post!
Steph

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Stephyr7783 . I haven't used ozempic but have a couple of comments.

If you have a side dose of pancreatitis has that also affected your insulin production? (ie a side dose of T3c to go with your T2).

Are you low carbing to reduce your insulin resistance and if you have PCOS have they prescribed metformin which I naively thought was a treatment for both T2 and PCOS?

The above is probably a "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" set of remarks, sorry.

Finally, if you're getting your levels down to the 40s by your current techniques it sounds to me that the boat is doing pretty well without a rock (just my opinion). As a T1, I wouldn't be at all unhappy with the current 53. :)

I’m a med student going into clinical placement for the next year and my husband has brain cancer so life is busy and often stressful
Lots of virtual hugs.

Good luck, hopefully you'll get some comments from ozempic users when more of them are awake.

Stephyr7783

I’m
Hi @Stephyr7783 . I haven't used ozempic but have a couple of comments.

If you have a side dose of pancreatitis has that also affected your insulin production? (ie a side dose of T3c to go with your T2).

Are you low carbing to reduce your insulin resistance and if you have PCOS have they prescribed metformin which I naively thought was a treatment for both T2 and PCOS?

The above is probably a "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" set of remarks, sorry.

Finally, if you're getting your levels down to the 40s by your current techniques it sounds to me that the boat is doing pretty well without a rock (just my opinion). As a T1, I wouldn't be at all unhappy with the current 53. :)

Lots of virtual hugs.

Good luck, hopefully you'll get some comments from ozempic users when more of them are awake.

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for your kind reply ( and for having made it to the end of my lengthy post! )

My pancreatitis was a number of years ago and was attributed to the poor control of my diabetes, as for its effects upon my insulin resistance, I’ve no idea but I imagine it could have had an impact.

The Metformin was tried a number of years ago when I was first diagnosed with PCOS, unfortunately it had to be stopped again as it gave me a quite severe B12 deficiency No fun when it takes 20 minutes to remember your own address lol

I try to eat a medium amount of carbs, (The better ones) having had DKA last year due to a mix of taking Dapagliflozin and trying to go low carb. I appreciate low carb is a absolute game changer for some but given the trouble I had I like to take the middle ground.

Steph X

Reactions: EllieM

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m not smart enough to help but wanted to say I think you are doing amazing! You have a lot to deal with and seem to be doing that very well. My instinct is to keep doing what your doing, be lovely to have your doctor on board but at the end of the day I reckon you know you the best. Good luck with everything

Reactions: EllieM

Stephyr7783

Hi, I’m not smart enough to help but wanted to say I think you are doing amazing! You have a lot to deal with and seem to be doing that very well. My instinct is to keep doing what your doing, be lovely to have your doctor on board but at the end of the day I reckon you know you the best. Good luck with everything

Thank you so much for taking the time write such a lovely reply , that in itself is a great help. X

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t used either insulin or Ozempic but it sounds like you (understandably!) don’t want to change anything at the moment and know what you want in your gut. One way to reassure a doctor and get them on side re diabetic treatments often seems to be to tell them you’d rather give it 3 months or 6 months and then review. (Not a bad idea in any case.)