Ozempic

Paul_37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was strictly Metformin for years til recently when my morning Bg was like 220~…after ate, would shoot up to the 300’s. Went Ti the doctor and she suggested Ozempic. I just started it today and am already seeing improvement. I was just curious if anyone else has tried it and if you had any results to share or side effects. I was told to eat light the first week as nausea can be common. (I am in the US for what it’s worth mentioning)

Reactions: jjraak

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was strictly Metformin for years til recently when my morning Bg was like 220~…after ate, would shoot up to the 300’s. Went Ti the doctor and she suggested Ozempic. I just started it today and am already seeing improvement. I was just curious if anyone else has tried it and if you had any results to share or side effects. I was told to eat light the first week as nausea can be common. (I am in the US for what it’s worth mentioning)
It is the new wonder drug, and it is being offered like sweets here in the UK. But it does have some nasty side effects and warnings .

If you look at the top RH of the banner heading and click on the magnifying glass and type Ozempic into the search bar then it will find all the threads that mention this med, and what others have experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and Paul_37

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’ve been on Ozempic for just over a year. It has been great for my blood sugars they were at 119 in December 2021, I started Ozempic around March 2022 and had my next hba1c in December 2022 and it had come down to 46, I’m on 4 other diabetic meds as well. I started on the small dose and went up to the higher dose but I had nausea and vomiting, had quite a few days off work because I just felt unwell. I’m now on 1/2 a dose which has helped but I still get the odd feeling of nausea and am randomly sick.

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak and Paul_37

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I’ve been on Ozempic for just over a year. It has been great for my blood sugars they were at 119 in December 2021, I started Ozempic around March 2022 and had my next hba1c in December 2022 and it had come down to 46, I’m on 4 other diabetic meds as well. I started on the small dose and went up to the higher dose but I had nausea and vomiting, had quite a few days off work because I just felt unwell. I’m now on 1/2 a dose which has helped but I still get the odd feeling of nausea and am randomly sick.
Fair play for sticking with it but I couldn't cope with nausea and randomly being sick - I take my hat off to you though x

Reactions: faryal15 and jjraak

Paul_37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the feedback. I’m not even a week in, but I e seen some slight improvement. I think here in the states we go by a different measurement. 80-120 whatever units is normal. I’ve gone down from 200’s to 180-190. Did it take a while for Ozempic to really make an impact on your numbers getting lower?

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m type I, but intend to see if my Endo thinks I’m a good candidate for it at my next appointment. Sometimes, meds are prescribed off label. It’s not that I want to take a med, besides insulin, it’s that I’ve personally seen some great results. Of course everyone is different. One of my friends, who is Type 2, went on Ozempic about a year ago and she has lowered her A1C to non diabetic levels. And, she lost about 70 pounds! She says the med reduces her appetite. She feels great. She’s since started swimming, biking, weight training, etc. And looks like an athlete! I have a top notch Endo who works at a teaching hospital…I trust her opinion. So, I’ll know next month what she thinks.

I’ll be anxious to see how others are doing with it on this thread.

Reactions: faryal15

faryal15

I’m type I, but intend to see if my Endo thinks I’m a good candidate for it at my next appointment. Sometimes, meds are prescribed off label. It’s not that I want to take a med, besides insulin, it’s that I’ve personally seen some great results. Of course everyone is different. One of my friends, who is Type 2, went on Ozempic about a year ago and she has lowered her A1C to non diabetic levels. And, she lost about 70 pounds! She says the med reduces her appetite. She feels great. She’s since started swimming, biking, weight training, etc. And looks like an athlete! I have a top notch Endo who works at a teaching hospital…I trust her opinion. So, I’ll know next month what she thinks.

I am a type 1 and my doctor put me on Victoza to help lower my HbA1c levels. From the first dose I saw my glycemic levels getting better but, i just could not go to work with the nausea/vomiting and feeling exhausted so I quit. That was a bad decision on my part. I require a big dose of insulin for every time i eat. I want to go on Ozempic but it is not available in Pakistan and even when it is the price is sky-high. Thanks to the non-diabetics who have abused its use and cause problems for those who really need it. I might be able to find Victoza from a big city but price is an issue. Prices of insulin have gone way up recently and the so-called social health insurance program doesn't cover insulin so ‍♀️

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am not T1D or an expert, but I know that these drugs are being prescribed Off Label to insulin users on pump. These drugs are not licenced or even fully tested on T1D, so you will probably have to find a prescriber for Off Label too.

The glycemic effect that GLP-1 gives is to boost insulin output, which won't apply for T1D. The worry I have is that the reduction in food intake, and the strong possibilty of vomit will make bolus dosing problematic.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I am type 1 too but do not get how it works for someone who has no insulin unless it does something to supress your glucagon and hence the liver's production of glucose?
In this case and if I was trying to lose weight I might consider Ozempic but this is a very high dose of GLP1 and I wouldn't want to lose too much muscle nor have to be on it for life.
Anyway in the UK only metformin is indicated for type 1s so low carb is my best option for now. I do know consultants who think sglt2 (previous type 2 wonder drug) should be available to type 1s (so you can pee out the glucose). Good luck if you decide to try it!

Reactions: Prancy

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 1 too but do not get how it works for someone who has no insulin unless it does something to supress your glucagon and hence the liver's production of glucose?
In this case and if I was trying to lose weight I might consider Ozempic but this is a very high dose of GLP1 and I wouldn't want to lose too much muscle nor have to be on it for life.
Anyway in the UK only metformin is indicated for type 1s so low carb is my best option for now. I do know consultants who think sglt2 (previous type 2 wonder drug) should be available to type 1s (so you can pee out the glucose). Good luck if you decide to try it!
Glucagon is the signal to the alpha cells to reduce and then remove their GLP-1 trigger signal to the beta cells in the pancreas (normal procedure to close the cycle) but these meds boost glucagon, but because the med has also created oodles of fake GLP-1 mimics, this process is overidden by the med, and the signals remain in force until natural excretion of the incretin mimic, which is actually several days after the injection. The usual suspects like Victoza and other first generation family this will be quite short, but Ozempic lasts a week in the body, which is why it is a weekly injection. In a T2D this triggers ketosis and so lipid fat starts to be burnt off hence weight loss. Not sure if same will apply to T1D

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

Paul_37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update: I’ve been on Ozempic for a week now and my blood glucose levels have dropped and after meal readings don’t spike nearly as bad as they were prior. So far so good. No nausea either but I am eating light too.

Type of diabetes
Type 2

As soon as I went on higher dose , my digestion slowed right down and blood sugar steadily increases as food queues up inside.
Stopped losing weight too.
ligaments, joints, connective tissues start to hurt too..
I was initially on 3g semaglutide tablets then 7g.. I now split them in two and feel much better.
but digestion is still s l o o o w so need to get Motilium tablets again.
Last time I bought them in Thailand.
Ozempic is GLP! injections, Semaglutide is GLP1 tablets work similar..

Google Ozempic face.. High dosage ages you quickly as connective tissue suffer.

[Edited by a Moderator to remove medication instructions]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Prancy and Oldvatr

Paul_37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. I’m using the once a week injection form. I’m doing a lower dose for these first two weeks and then I go up, we’ll see how that goes but I do appreciate you sharing your experience.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update: I’ve been on Ozempic for a week now and my blood glucose levels have dropped and after meal readings don’t spike nearly as bad as they were prior. So far so good. No nausea either but I am eating light too.
Paul_37 Interested to hear how you get on. My doctor has today written me a prescription for it, have to pick it up yet. Reading around would put you off taking it, so I'm not going to read any more and give it a try myself.

Rooty

Just sharing my experience with Ozempic. I've ben a T2 diabetic for ... 15 plus years. I was on a max dose of Metformin, Gliclazide and briefly Linagliptin as I was awaiting referral to the diabetes clinic.

I was put on Ozempic in mid-September of last year at the base dose of 0.25mg, then 0.50mg and finally the full dose of 1mg by the end of the year. Twice daily insulin started in March.

Saying it as I see it, Ozempic is a wonder drug. lol I've lost nearly 2 stone, my blood sugar dropped from around 20 mmol/L to 12 mmol/L while I cut out the Gliclazide and Linagliptin completely. I'm still on the Metaformin, which I'm told I will be for ever.

All good so far....

However I have experienced three side-effects with Ozempic. It's worth noting that I take Ozempic every Saturday morning.

o Nausea. I was told that nausea is likely if I eat too much on Ozempic, but in truth I was eating less and less as the Ozempic worked its appetite suppressing magic. I was never actually sick, but I seemed to feel nauseous regardless of what or how much I ate around Monday to Wednesday. Thankfully I haven't felt unwell for a long time now.

o Stomach Cramps: This was a common theme, along with the nausea, but I'm pleased to report that it now happens very rarely as to be of no concern. But in the early days ... it was bad.

o Insomnia: I have read of others who've experienced an inability to sleep on Ozempic. One guy stated on a forum that he'd not slept for four years! I hope he was exaggerating. With me it's around Tuesday or Wednesday nights not both, I just struggle to stay sleep. It may have nothing to do with Ozempic, but it started around the time I started taking it, so it's taking the blame!

For me, even with the above issues in the early days, I'd still say that Ozempic is a winner for me.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rooty Thank you for an honest review. Got my prescription and gave myself my first injection. We'll see how it goes from here.

Paul_37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rooty Thank you for an honest review. Got my prescription and gave myself my first injection. We'll see how it goes from here.
Week 2 here and I recorded my lowest number in quite some time. 156 (US) or 8.6 (UK)…My appetite has lessened too. Makes it a lot easier to control portions. I still get cravings, but that’s probably inevitable.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 2 here and I recorded my lowest number in quite some time. 156 (US) or 8.6 (UK)…My appetite has lessened too. Makes it a lot easier to control portions. I still get cravings, but that’s probably inevitable.
@ Paul_37 Well done you. Keep up the good work. I'm hoping it helps reduce my appetite too.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the end of the second week of Ozempic. Sugars are coming down nicely, weight is heading in the right direction. The first week I had awful diarrhoea, I thought this was the injection, but hubby had it too, was going around his work. Second injection was fine. My only symptom really is nausea.

I'm happy to say my appetite has reduced to around a quarter of what I was eating - that was right from the day after I took the first injection!!! I just literally can't eat any more. I was amazed. Hope it keeps up like this.

edited to add - I find I'm not hungry very much now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul_37 and Prancy

GDM06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have not used Ozempic but I have been on Victosa for a few years. Work brilliantly for me.
Nausea and vomiting were bad the first 3wks but now nothing. I have been using med since 2019 - discontinued for a short while, as HBA1C improved a lot. But I have been back on it since 2021.
The only issue is that it's still not helping my fasting glucose, but my pre-and post-meal is great.
I fast daily so not sure if that is why my fasting glucose is high, I am low carb as well
Over time I have had to increase my dose now on 1.8g daily