pack lunch ideas

serankine

Hi my daughter aged 5 is on pack lunches at school.
We are on a pump and found it so hard to carb count the school lunches since the meals are on a 3 week rota.
She is so fed up with sandwichs and to be honest so am i.
Just wonrdered if anyone has got any brilliant ideas :?: .

We have tied chopped up sausages, Teacake, salad sticks ( but these went to dry since i have to make it the night before.)
Thank you :)

ClaireG 06

Different salads, my non diabetic son used to love pasta salads as a change from sarnies. Dips are also good with sticks of raw carrot or cucumber, i often have dip myself at lunchtime and tend to make my own from greek yogurt and various flavourings then i know exactly what's in it. Or how about cubes of ham and/or cheese with cucumber chunks and cherry tomatoes.

imalittlefishy

My mum used to send us to school occasionally with wraps instead of sandwiches...can put in anything at all really, grated cheese, grated carrot, ham, salad, sweetcorn, chicken...makes a change from bread bread and more bread anyway :) xx

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter has a packed lunch as like you say it's easier to carb count. Here are some ideas of what she has in her lunchbox.

Cream crackers (Jess likes them with margarine and marmite)
Cherry tomatoes
Cheese - babybels, lil' moos or cheese strings
Yoghurt
Cereal bars
Popcorn
Salad of sliced mixed peppers, cucumbers, carrots, olives, feta cheese
Cesar salad topped with a few croutons (you can add chicken or some bacon bits)
Blueberry muffin
Sugar free jelly
Fruit salad - lots of melon and berries, just a few grapes
Low sugar tinned sweetcorn
Cold meats - chicken drumsticks
Pasta salad
Rice salad
Chicken balls
Slices of spanish omelette
Ham, cheese and tomato sticks (like mini kebabs threaded onto drinking straws)
Cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon
Mini sausage rolls
Quiche
Leftover cold roast potatoes
Potato salad (we make ours with boiled pots, hard boiled egg and mayonnaise)
We add a treat occasionally, usually something small like a kinder chocolate bar or a happy hippo.

As a side note we use a lunch box by Lock & Lock that is square in shape and has four little dividing compartments which is ideal for keeping all the food items separate. Also Laptop Lunches make natty little lunchboxes that work a treat for keeping your packed lunch organised.

leggott

Pitta bread with dips, cheese and biscuits, chicken satay, salmon flakes, cheese straws, quiche, hard boiled eggs, sushi, chicken drumsticks and veggie and dips.

Sorry if some of these have been mentioned.