Packed Lunches for Holidays

naquada

I'm fairly newly diagnosed (February 2014), so still finding my way a bit... I'm off on holiday in cornwall soon with my wife, and 3 year old son... We're planning on being out and about a bit, so looking for ideas for packed lunches for us all to fall in line with T2..

My diets always been considered good (low GI/GL) and not over weight, dont tend to eat junk foods etc etc etc

I'm keeping in mind that we'll probably eat out some evenings (cross that bridge when I come to it!!) other evenings I'll be cooking where we are staying (so ok with that)... but its during the day I'm struggling to work out... pre Diabetes I would have made up sandwiches (granary bread with varied fillings like ham, cheese and colesaw, cheese and apple, cheese and grapes, maybe some precooked, prepackaged chicken, beef etc with lettuce/salad etc) with some sort of snack (so mini chedders, some crisps, fruit etc etc)

Its the first time we've been away with my T2.. so any ideas?

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
;)
Tuna or Salmon with or without cucumber, Egg and Cress or tomato , BLT, wholemeal wraps.
Mmmm Cornish Pasties from Looe, just dreaming ( not allowed) well maybe once.

Reactions: 3 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Boiled eggs, chicken legs, salad. Pretty much what you said without the bread. What about buying some low carb wraps from the low carb megastore.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Try wrapping your sandwich filling with lettuce leaves rather than bread. holds the filling & is low carb!

Reactions: 2 people

naquada

Thanks all so far!!! my last (first) visit to the dietician she said 'you're not getting much in the way of carbs' my BMI is apparently perfect, so she's advising at least 300g (?) of carbs a day.... I'm not quite sure what percentage or amount is considered low carb... I dont want to lose any more weight, in fact i'd like a little tiny bit more, as I feel a little too thin right now!!!

wrapping in lettuce leaves sounds an interesting idea...

I can also live with boiled eggs (does mashing them up effect it at all like potatoes?) Chicken (and prepacked cooked from supermarket is a bad idea ? should i precook strips the night before?)

I've always been so adverse to Tuna.. but i guess needs must if its the only way ;)

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Well I used to mash my eggs with butter but that's a nono , now. I have started to use Flora pro biotic spread and it tastes really good, no need to butter you bread first. It is supposed to help lower cholesterol. I don't know if you could use a low fat Mayo I am still trying to find my way around this minefield of diabetic foods. Maybe the Supermarkets have some ready made low fat spreads ?? I hope I have been of some help.
Cheese and Onion, Cheese and Pickle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are you trying to control? Carbs? I love a ploughmans salad ham cheese egg salad minus the bread and pork pie (blugh!)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Eat proper food. Food should have one ingredient, if it is a plant eat it, if its made in a plant leave it. Only shop on the edge of the supermarket. Low fat is not good food it full of gunk. Every thing in moderation.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on holiday right now in the Cotswolds. We've had a picnic every day. I've made my own egg mayo and onion with one slice of granary bread and 6 cherry toms, eaten with a spoon - bread buttered. One piece of fruit, water and tea. Similar thing but a 100g tin of red salmon mashed with onion and a bit of mayo. I detest lettuce! Use real butter and real mayonnaise - avoid any low fat products. One slice of granary bread with egg mayo or salmon etc is very low GI/GL. Enjoy your trip and don't stress about what to eat too much. I know I worried, but so far so good. It is do-able.

naquada

Thanks all for the advice... I managed to survive the week without too much issue... Evenings bloods spiked a bit on some days towards the end of the week.. But.. I've come home with a cold... So.. It might have been that...!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If nuts, berries and salmon is good enough for him, it's good enough for me :)

PC-3008b.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
K

Kat100

I do have a sandwich sometimes , nice bread seed granary soya type .....
Filling ....personal choice ...
I can also have a banana....for me this can keep me going if I am out for a whole day .....
So many different diet approaches .......have a really great holiday .....:)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I'm fairly newly diagnosed (February 2014), so still finding my way a bit... I'm off on holiday in cornwall soon with my wife, and 3 year old son... We're planning on being out and about a bit, so looking for ideas for packed lunches for us all to fall in line with T2..

My diets always been considered good (low GI/GL) and not over weight, dont tend to eat junk foods etc etc etc

I'm keeping in mind that we'll probably eat out some evenings (cross that bridge when I come to it!!) other evenings I'll be cooking where we are staying (so ok with that)... but its during the day I'm struggling to work out... pre Diabetes I would have made up sandwiches (granary bread with varied fillings like ham, cheese and colesaw, cheese and apple, cheese and grapes, maybe some precooked, prepackaged chicken, beef etc with lettuce/salad etc) with some sort of snack (so mini chedders, some crisps, fruit etc etc)

Its the first time we've been away with my T2.. so any ideas?
Take the fillings but not the bread - think tapas!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
;)
Tuna or Salmon with or without cucumber, Egg and Cress or tomato , BLT, wholemeal wraps.
Mmmm Cornish Pasties from Looe, just dreaming ( not allowed) well maybe once.

My grandparents lived on West Looe, looking across the river to the pasty shop.

There is nothing like those pasties!,,