Pain With FreeStyle Libre 2

LKnott98

I've been using Libres for a little over 2 years now, 1 at first but eventually 2. Although they work more than they don't, I have had a few issues with them. The main one at the moment being muscle pain part of the way through using one of the sensors.

It isn't a common issue, it's only happened about 2 or 3 times in the couple of years I've used them. But the most recent one, after using it for a few days I noticed my upper arm start to ache. As it had happened before, when my arm became painful I decided it was best to just remove it. Usually it gets better within a day or two. But after a few days my arm has only gotten worse, to the point where any movement with that arm is almost impossible with the pain.

For a bit more info, there was a bit more pain from the initial application than normal, including a bit of blood which doesn't happen often. I do alternate arms with each sensor, usually around the same areas without being directly on the same spot. I even take breaks from the sensors altogether at times and monitor my levels through blood instead.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @LKnott98

It's not something I'd personally heard of, but when I googled I got this thread below, which may be useful
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/threads/arm-ache-from-freestyle-libre.120782/

Lots of people have issues with skin allergies, but I get the impression that this isn't your issue. In your position I'd probably phone Abbott just in case this is a known issue and then if they don't help try my doctor.

Good luck.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had aches from the sensor, but they always subside after a day or two and have never continued after the sensor has been removed. I’ve hit blood a few times, and again that doesn’t usually affect the sensor or cause lasting pain. The one exception was earlier this year, when this happened. It was painful but the sensor didn’t stay on long! Abbott replaced it and asked for photos and for the sensor to be returned for investigation.

6D886A66-BDF4-4553-8DB9-09C519C0EE89.jpeg

LKnott98

Thanks, seems some people have had similar problems. While it did seem others experienced the same thing, the original poster did later changed their mind on saying it was caused by injury instead. Was unsure if mine was the same, but couldn't think of any way it could have happened without the sensor being the cause.

LKnott98

I’ve had aches from the sensor, but they always subside after a day or two and have never continued after the sensor has been removed. I’ve hit blood a few times, and again that doesn’t usually affect the sensor or cause lasting pain. The one exception was earlier this year, when this happened. It was painful but the sensor didn’t stay on long! Abbott replaced it and asked for photos and for the sensor to be returned for investigation.

View attachment 55351

Looks pretty bad, fortunately haven't had that before. The only thing it's done skin wise is quite often after taking it off I'll notice that my skin is usually dry and red for a little while. It's nothing that I'm too bothered about though because it doesn't affect really anything.

Reactions: Annb and Goonergal

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have an allergy to adhesives? My former wife is allergic to just about every adhesive going, from normal sticking plasters to supposedly non-allergic tapes used in hospitals and denture adhesives.

Revmikepowis

I've been using Libres for a little over 2 years now, 1 at first but eventually 2. Although they work more than they don't, I have had a few issues with them. The main one at the moment being muscle pain part of the way through using one of the sensors.

It isn't a common issue, it's only happened about 2 or 3 times in the couple of years I've used them. But the most recent one, after using it for a few days I noticed my upper arm start to ache. As it had happened before, when my arm became painful I decided it was best to just remove it. Usually it gets better within a day or two. But after a few days my arm has only gotten worse, to the point where any movement with that arm is almost impossible with the pain.

For a bit more info, there was a bit more pain from the initial application than normal, including a bit of blood which doesn't happen often. I do alternate arms with each sensor, usually around the same areas without being directly on the same spot. I even take breaks from the sensors altogether at times and monitor my levels through blood instead.
I have had short term pain with mine with exercise and have brought a support that sits around the sensor with an elastic cuff which helps.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Both of my arms are fairly tender these days and actually fairly sore while the sensor (Libre 2) is in place. It may be that the problem is something to do with arthritic pain in both arms but it does seem to be over and above that. It's not so serious I would consider not using the Libre - just an extra irritant.

SW

I'd contact your diabetes team asap for advice and also contact Abbott. They are quick to reply & brilliant about replacing problem sensors. I've had several replaced by them over the last few years for various reasons. Given the cost of sensors, why should you or your surgery cover replacement costs if a sensor is either faulty or causes a problem. Good luck.

stayingalive

I have had a nasty bit of bruising, like your photo, only once a couple of years ago. At the time I concluded that when I put it on I hit a small blood vessel. There was certainly much more of an "ouch" than usual. I couldn't use it for the full 2 weeks and Abbott replaced it. Again, I'm not short of fat on the back of my upper arm! But as I know from pen injections, blood vessels get everywhere sometimes!

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes

View attachment 55351
Wow! That is nasty bruising! I sometimes have pain, left arm only, and I try to avoid applying too close to muscle tissue and aim for the "flab" LOL. I have found that losing weight, and I wasn't really overweight to start with at 6ft (1.8m) tall dropping from 210 lbs to 155 lbs (95kg-70kg) left me with fewer upper arm good target areas to use. More muscle and less flab/softer areas.

Reactions: Annb and Goonergal

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I don't think it has anything to do with Libre 1 or 2 as the sensors are basically the same in construction and size. I had an arm pain once and it was because of placement. Just make sure it is applied to a flabby part of your arm and not into a muscular area. I know that can be hard to do at times as you feel like a contortionist applying it and more so removing the sensor.