painful injections, help!

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hiya, ive been on injections for over three months now and i havent been having any issues, but recently its been really hard for me to get the needle to go through the skin, and i often have to try multiple locations. Additionally when i do inject the insulin it often stings. The insulin isnt cold or gone off. anyone got any ideas or experiencing the same thing?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @knipster ,

Is it your novorapid or your Lantus giving the issue?

Have you recently had a needle prescription change?

Macdonald1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same problem, I sometimes find if I stand up when injecting this helps. It does get easier. Try not to get stress when doing it as this seems to make it sting when it goes on. Good luck :)

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've not found injections to be any issue until this evening. I've been trying to skip them as an experiment, so the pens have been in the fridge. But I went a bit high by this evening, so I had a little (5u) Novorapid to correct. I went for quite a high site on my stomach, but I've lost a bit of fat and it hurt like buggery and left a little white raised area. Not sure what I did wrong.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin out of the fridge really stings! Try injecting somewhere with more fat. I do my bottom whenever possible as I haven't got much fat on my stomach.

Reactions: Dodo

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not change my needle until they start to hurt then I replace what do needles cost in uk

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hiya, ive been on injections for over three months now and i havent been having any issues, but recently its been really hard for me to get the needle to go through the skin, and i often have to try multiple locations. Additionally when i do inject the insulin it often stings. The insulin isnt cold or gone off. anyone got any ideas or experiencing the same thing?

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm assuming you're changing the needle frequently to a fresh one? I admittedly don't do it as often as I should (out of sheer laziness), but do notice that after a little while as they become blunter they start hurting more and are harder to get through the skin.

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @knipster ,

Is it your novorapid or your Lantus giving the issue?

Have you recently had a needle prescription change?

its been both, and the needles are the same as always. It seems to be getting better now but the needles and the insulin is still the same!

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same problem, I sometimes find if I stand up when injecting this helps. It does get easier. Try not to get stress when doing it as this seems to make it sting when it goes on. Good luck :)
thanks for the advice!

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do not change my needle until they start to hurt then I replace what do needles cost in uk
Directly, nothing. The national health service gives them to you via a free prescription. But, the $3,000 of tax I pay each month has to come back to me somehow! :D

Reactions: porl69

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to change the place where you inject regularly where you have more fat. You have to change the needle as the needle thickens up after using it many times otherwise it hurts.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Needles? They do get damaged & covered in tissue residue after use...

image.jpeg

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I found Lantus very stingy for a few months. Even now 10 years on every so often it really stings and that is both Novo Rapid and Lantus and then a massive bruise, hint don't go anywhere near that bruise with a follow up needle.
I vaguely remember when I first started I was good for a number of months then Honeymoon and all sorts of issues with the injections. I would swing back and forward with the 'armed' pen 1, 2, wham in. Have a chat to your friendly DE, they will be delighted to assist you.

I don't know how long you have to wait before a pump is an option, but that is a way around injections, just an impressive bang, no discomfort, the only pain I have found is peeling off the canal after 3 days. I have only been trialing the canals in preparation for a pump.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Needles? They do get damaged & covered in tissue residue after use...

View attachment 24860

I was shown this image by my Dietitian 2 years ago. Since then I change after 2 injections. Can still remember the glass and metal syringes with the darning needle when I was 6 years old in 1972, used to scare me to death lol

Last edited:

Tabzmcfc

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus had started to sting me and injections were painful so, after experimentation, I now pinch up my skin, take a big breath of fresh air ( well it worked during labour!) then inject and let go of the pinched up skin. Worth a try. Good luck

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was shown this image by my Dietitian 2 years ago. Since then I change after 2 injections. Can still remember the glass and metal syringes with the darning needle when I was 6 years old in 1072, used to scare me to death lol

Lol 1976 for me.! Yep, I had a few glass ones break.. Preferred the smoother action of plunger in the plastic disposables when I changed over..

Reactions: Dodo and porl69