Pains in toes

Jamietay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First post here,so hello all.
I have developed pain in my toes, such that when I try to sleep in my normal bed pain keeps me awake.

If I sit in my armchair with my feet on the floor then I can doze for most of the night.

I know it's caused by nerve damage from my doctor but got no other advice.

Can anybody advise a course of action please?

TIA

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not very good to not be able to sleep in your bed.

There a pain killers that are available, other people on the forum have talked about them, though it seems to take some persuading to get the doctor to prescribe them. You have to go and see them more than once, I think.

Apart from that, can you lower your feet in bed, seeing as that seems to help in the armchair?

The other thing is, can you improve your blood sugar control? so that can at least stabilise, and not have any further damage, and ideally have an improvement.

If you can increase the anti-oxidants in your diet, especially in fruit and veg, without raising blood sugars, that should help.

Also people say that Alpha liphoic acid is good, that's also an anti oxidant, but not so widely available in foods.

Also a vitamin c supplement might be good, as people with diabetes often have a deficiency because we use so much of it fighting the oxidative stress from high blood sugars.

I think it's important both to find something that reduces the pain for now, and also to take a positive view that you can improve it, or reverse it. You have, after all, reached a very fine age, so you have been doing some things right, so you can do more.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On one a&e visit for chest pain and generally feeling very unwell a Dr prescribed pregabalin and it helps me enormously. I take one on a morning and one on an evening. If I forget any I definitely know about it. Walking makes my pain worse but MSK seems to believe the opposite. I'm losing weight but it's still painful in rest if I forget a tablet.
I read somewhere that the pain is due to the nerves regrowing. Not sure how accurate that is.
Painkillers and r-ala supplement is the best for my feet and toe/s pain. Of course insulin therapy is keeping a lid on high bgs so I hope my nerves are improving.
I had similiar pains in my teens but I ignored it thinking it was growing pains. I didn't realise but I was diabetic even then. Pain was worse after dancing all night on alcoholic drinks.

DaveXF

First post here,so hello all.
I have developed pain in my toes, such that when I try to sleep in my normal bed pain keeps me awake.

If I sit in my armchair with my feet on the floor then I can doze for most of the night.

I know it's caused by nerve damage from my doctor but got no other advice.

Can anybody advise a course of action please?

TIA

Daft question but how do you know that it's nerve damage...caused by DB?
I've been into see my GP today to follow up on my blood tests and BP. ( results not through yet)
He was saying that diabetic neuropathy is a very slow burn...I think he wasn't being sarky... and believes that my high BP is the cause of mine.
How is your BP?

L

Lar oli mu

I have developed pain in my toes
The question is, how deep do you do you want to get into the rabbit hole?

Where does the pain come from? Do you have antibodies, that bind to your nervous tissue? If so, it is a slow burn. Pain killers will only masquerade, what is going on down there. You might want to take some natural supplements against inflammation in your body.

What do you do to help all the nerves in your body to regrow, be repaired and just have a good time? How do you encourage repair of the nervous system? How about the fascia in your feet? A lot of nervous tissue is inside the fascia. So, if your fascia harden over the years, the nerves inside them will give a constant feedback to you about that. There are big fascia in your feet.

How do you handle your feet? Do you ever massage them? They are an asset to your body that you don’t want to lose! Not even one single tiny piece of them, right?

Greetings from northern Germany,
Lars

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Sixx

I had similar problems. They mostly occur when I have sinus infection and fever.
1. Contact you DB doctor or nurse for autual medical advice.
For me (might not apply to you) problem is suspected to be caused by bloated feet. Cause can vary from manageable to really bad. So do contant doctor.
Keeping you feet up should help, get a footstool.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose it would do no harm to try sage tea or ginko biloba - 'old' remedies for poor circulation/cold extremities - not to be taken by women before menopause, but the OP should be OK I think.

Reactions: Mike Sixx