Palpitations and high blood glucose.

GM1986

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a sandwich (ham and cheese) with a few crisps. Before eating my BG was 5.3, about 1/2 an hour after eating my heart rate suddenly sky rocketed to 160bpm and my blood glucose was 11.6
Has anyone else experienced this or have any explanation why it might have happened?
Thanks in advance

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a sandwich (ham and cheese) with a few crisps. Before eating my BG was 5.3, about 1/2 an hour after eating my heart rate suddenly sky rocketed to 160bpm and my blood glucose was 11.6
Has anyone else experienced this or have any explanation why it might have happened?
Thanks in advance
When blood sugars fluctuate in a very short amount of time, your heart can go haywire for a bit. I know mine does.

purrpleness

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get Palpitations when my blood sugars go up, that's my way of knowing when to check.

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks in advance
I get this too, it doesn't last long, less than a minute and doesn't happen often but I get what feels like a huge adrenaline rush then it all calms down again. Not had it in a while but my sugars have been much better recently. It's such a strange feeling.

Zippy1st

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get this too, it doesn't last long, less than a minute and doesn't happen often but I get what feels like a huge adrenaline rush then it all calms down again. Not had it in a while but my sugars have been much better recently. It's such a strange feeling.
Ditto. About six years ago I would have a cooked dinner around 6pm and a small pudding. I would get what I called a sugar rush and had to sit for the rest of the evening. I ditched sweet things at that point to avoid this weird feeling. I have just been told I am hitting T2 diabetes ( statin induced I believe), and lunch today of one slice lasagne with I piece bread has put me at 9.8mmol, raised heart beat and feeling weak. I guess the sugar rush is now a general carb thing. A sandwich with crisps is a thing of the past for me. At BMI 19, I am going to disappear soon.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Of course, stress raises blood sugars so it's possible the palpitations caused the raised bg rather than the other way round???