Palpitations?

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before being diagnosed I was having strong palpitations, even had the ECG monitor overnight.
But what I have noticed on the occasions my bs fasting levels are between 7-8 the palpitations start again, an symptom indication levels are going high, I suppose...does this happen to anyone else?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before being diagnosed I was having strong palpitations, even had the ECG monitor overnight.
But what I have noticed on the occasions my bs fasting levels are between 7-8 the palpitations start again, an symptom indication levels are going high, I suppose...does this happen to anyone else?

Did the 24 hour ECG reveal what was causing the palpitations, such as an irregular heart beat?

Reactions: Mags H

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did the 24 hour ECG reveal what was causing the palpitations, such as an irregular heart beat?
To be honest when I chased the results about 2-3wks ago they hadn't come back, and haven't wrong back since...my health ctr are pretty rubbish at sending results, but I'd like to think if serious they would of got back to me by now. I'll chase on Monday.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest when I chased the results about 2-3wks ago they hadn't come back, and haven't wrong back since...my health ctr are pretty rubbish at sending results, but I'd like to think if serious they would of got back to me by now. I'll chase on Monday.

Yes, do chase it up. I had a 24 hour ECG in January. I was told it would be about 3 weeks for the report. My GP had the results back within 2 or 3 weeks, rang me to let me know, and printed off a copy for me to collect from reception. There was no need for a face to face appointment.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, do chase it up. I had a 24 hour ECG in January. I was told it would be about 3 weeks for the report. My GP had the results back within 2 or 3 weeks, rang me to let me know, and printed off a copy for me to collect from reception. There was no need for a face to face appointment.
Thank you, presume there was no link with your diabetes?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Are you on a Low Carb diet? Only I have heard many people mention palpitations since they went on a low carb diet.I suffered with palpitations for the first few weeks into my low carb diet. Also dark chocolate can have that effect.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on a Low Carb diet? Only I have heard many people mention palpitations since they went on a low carb diet.I suffered with palpitations for the first few weeks into my low carb diet. Also dark chocolate can have that effect.
I am but these palpitations were happening prior to diagnose.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, and also caffeine, alcohol and nicotine. Indeed, anything that stimulates. Also certain medications.
Could perhaps be medication, dont drink, smoke and only have one cup of tea in morning and defo don't have chocolate anymore...sigh (although read in a few places, 98% dark choc might be okay for diabetics)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could perhaps be medication, dont drink, smoke and only have one cup of tea in morning and defo don't have chocolate anymore...sigh (although read in a few places, 98% dark choc might be okay for diabetics)

Check your medications for side effects. Palpitations, fast heart rate etc. It may say on the information leaflets, although this website is pretty good
https://www.drugs.com/drug_information.html

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the known complications due to high bg is damage to the vagus nerve, and this can lead to palpitations, among other symptoms. In my experience, some complications do start at a much lower A1c than acknowledged by health professionals. I have suffered from paroxysmal vagal Atrial Fibrillation for years, symptoms controlled by taking Flecainide. I was always puzzled as to why, no-one could tell me. Now I think that a whole cluster of health problems I had/have which have always been treated as stand-alone are in fact related to my having raised bg over some years. IMO if we can manage to lower our A1c, fasting and post prandial readings and keep them steady we can hope to avoid palpitations, at least in the long term.

What was your A1c on diagnosis?

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed and think it was 48 then spiked after mth being diagnosed where ended up in hosp. To be honest don't know exact figure, in daze at first consultantion apt didn't take it in, but recognise from being on this site the importance of knowing it. Will go Google vagus nerve and get results, so I can give proper feedback. Thanks for info.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Please chase up.
Worst case scenario you will be encouraged to keep your bgs in good order. Which your doing. Don't do any extreme dieting or exercise til youve received the all clear hun. Please keep us updated with your results.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please chase up.
Worst case scenario you will be encouraged to keep your bgs in good order. Which your doing. Don't do any extreme dieting or exercise til youve received the all clear hun. Please keep us updated with your results.
Thank you good advice and I will

Reactions: ickihun

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffered from palpitations. They disappeared when I took magnesium supplements