Pancreas Cocked Back In?

JFow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok....so I was diagnosed in April with T2 Diabetes. Did a good job of it with HbA1c of 117 and eye complications. So it has been quite a roller coaster. However...HbA1c on 1st June was 66 and think will be lower again now but need to get it checked.

So my question. I’ve had a couple of hypos recently (BM 3.3) and so advised to reduce Gliclazide which is obviously helping me make insulin. With the reduction of meds my sugars have been steadily between 5.2 and 5.8....is it possible my pancreas has decided it’s no longer resistant and kicked in again???

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you actually have a test for the amount of insulin you were making yourself?
Type two is more often associated with insulin resistance and an overproduction of insulin and the lucky ones like me can simply reduce intake of carbs and it is fixed.

JFow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No! I didn’t. How would I get that done? They are awaiting antibody results to come back before they decide if it’s type 1 or 2.....

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for ignorant, @bulkbiker, but what does this test actually tell you? Can it distinguish between type 1 and type 2 or is it just for type 2s?
It will tell you if you are under-producing or over-producing insulin .. If over then a "classic" Type 2 with insulin resistance. If very low then more likely to be another variant of a Type 1 style not producing enough endogenous insulin.
Treating a "classic" Type 2 with extra insulin is kind of crazy whereas a T1 type (i.e. an underproducing pancreas) would mean insulin therapy would be more likely to be useful. This is my own classification and unfortunately not how the NHS look at it. If they did I think we would have far fewer misdiagnoses...

Reactions: JFow and zand

JFow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a brilliantly helpful reply!! Thank you so much! I’ve had GAD antibodies tested but doesn’t sound like same thing. I’m going to get that test done!! £39 seems a small price to pay to see if treatment ok. I am pretty sure I’m Type 2 as stopped the Gliclazide and highest reading so far has been 7.2 post prandial and fasting 5.6ish.....so fingers crossed!! Thanks again for your help!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a brilliantly helpful reply!! Thank you so much! I’ve had GAD antibodies tested but doesn’t sound like same thing. I’m going to get that test done!! £39 seems a small price to pay to see if treatment ok. I am pretty sure I’m Type 2 as stopped the Gliclazide and highest reading so far has been 7.2 post prandial and fasting 5.6ish.....so fingers crossed!! Thanks again for your help!!
I would probably concur with your diagnosis as if you weren't producing any insulin your bloods would be far higher.

Reactions: JFow

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it the c-peptide test that should be done rather than fasting insulin?

Reactions: JFow