Pancreatic cancer screening?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had what is supposed to be my routine every 6-month check in with my GP. HbA1c awesome again (thanks low carb diet!), but still cannot get FBG to be normal (and honestly the labs at 8am make it look a lot better than it is when I first wake up, which is basically why I'm still classified as PRE-diabetes). Developing 2nd frozen shoulder as well now, which stinks, but seems totally out of my control, apparently.

Because of the persistent high FBG, the doc is sending me for an ultrasound of my pancreas to take look just in case it's cancer. The spectre of cancer hadn't crossed my mind (although I'm aware there's some association with diabetes), but I do see that there are some recent articles associating it with high FBG in absence of other abnormal labs. Has anyone else been through this? Got some reassuring words? It's a little jarring to go in for a refill on my metformin script and come out with a referral for cancer screen.

Reactions: DiabetesDestroyer

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i would pray its not because its very very bad news if it is.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Glink. Your experience was very similar to mine. Except my DN was reassuring and told me of the success cases.
However, I was in shock and just kept going over the worst scenario. The GP called me at home later that day and tried to explain the enzymes my pancreas was producing. One of which was high and indicative that there might be a problem.
I had 2 scans in all with satisfactory results regarding the pancreas.
All I can say to you at this stage is to stay positive. For me, I guess, the docs were just making sure there was no other foul play involved in my diabetes.

X

Reactions: Glink

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just posting an update here, in case someone in the future is in this position and finds this thread: my pancreas is fine (at least as far as tumors go)! The weird feeling after I eat is probably just due to a benign and common liver cyst they found, and the blood sugars are just a mystery. But, most importantly of all: NO TUMORS. Yay!

Reactions: Pipp and NaijaChick

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
Geez that's great what a scare!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is great news! Must have been a v stressful wait for those results!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Just posting an update here, in case someone in the future is in this position and finds this thread: my pancreas is fine (at least as far as tumors go)! The weird feeling after I eat is probably just due to a benign and common liver cyst they found, and the blood sugars are just a mystery. But, most importantly of all: NO TUMORS. Yay!
Yay, yay yay. Enjoy your weekend. Magic news