Pancreatitis

Rosiegosden_

I’m just out of hospital having had acute pancreatitis. My blood sugars have gone crazy - up to 27.5, lowest 16.5. I’m not able to eat very much as I can’t easily digest food yet. My GP reckons that this will settle down, but I’m concerned at how long I can tolerate these levels before irreparable damage is done. I’m on 1500mg of metformin per day. My latest hba1c was 66. Does anyone else have experience of having pancreatitis, and if so, how long did the effects last?
Thanks in advance

malcolmjw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I had an attack of acute pancreatitis in November 2015. I was in hospital for 1 week, but unfortunately I did not receive much in the way of post-hospital support.
I was discharged with a totally inappropriate diet sheet. It was mainly the avoidance of any fatty food, even to the extent of recommending drinking sugary drinks e.g. Coca Cola. As a T2 sufferer this was totally unacceptable, but by trial and error I was able to adapt my diet to be both low-fat and low-carb. I mainly lived on eggs and salad - I don't really eat much in the way of meat - and drinking only coffee - no sugar - and mineral water. By the following March, I had lost 20 kilos and my levels were within the acceptable parameters.
I hope this helps. I know it's a struggle. Just keep going.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I had pancreatitis last summer. In some ways I was lucky because at emergency (I hadn't been able to eat anything for over 48 hours) they diagnosed a gall stone that was blocking the digestive tract through the pancreas. The immediate protocol is to provide medication to dissolve the stone and to immediately have the gall bladder removed. This has worked really well for me with no recurrence and no issues with too much bacon. A major requirement on my low carb diet. I understand that where I live in Canada there is an immediate assumption of a stuck gall stone if stones are present in the gall bladder and this sets the wheels rolling. I went to emergency on a Sunday evening and had the operation on Wednesday.
Yes my bg levels went up but I was told this was a normal body reaction to the stress and trauma of an operation. It was after this operation that I started on the Low Carb Program and 2 months later my A1C was 6.0! Perhaps 4 days without eating helped as well.:)