Panic attacks and sugar drops

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Does anyone find when they are anxious or panicking their sugar drops.
I use to always spike when anxious but lately I seem to drop and this makes me more anxious. :(

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi
Does anyone find when they are anxious or panicking their sugar drops.
I use to always spike when anxious but lately I seem to drop and this makes me more anxious. :(
How quickly do they drop? How do you treat it?

Reactions: Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How quickly do they drop? How do you treat it?
Well this morning it dropped around 5mmol in about 20 mins. It never got low as such - 6 was the lowest reading but the drop from 11to 6 so quickly felt intense. No active rapid on board so not sure other than the anxiety what caused it. I had breakfast and half my usual breakfast dose after it stopped dropping and I’m sitting at 10 now.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Well this morning it dropped around 5mmol in about 20 mins. It never got low as such - 6 was the lowest reading but the drop from 11to 6 so quickly felt intense. No active rapid on board so not sure other than the anxiety what caused it. I had breakfast and half my usual breakfast dose after it stopped dropping and I’m sitting at 10 now.
Your dose is correct if you end up at the same pre-meal level 5 hours after eating. You could talk to your DN about dosing after you have started eating, or splitting your dose. It may help stop the sudden drops. It gives you a chance to give less than your total calculation for the second dose also. Coffee and cream with a meal also slows the insulin down.

I have sudden drops sometimes with exercise after lunch. I have a Dexcom and get double arrows down where I've dropped at worse 1 mmol/l every 4 minutes. I start eating fruit, followed by Dextro if that doesn't work, followed by coffee and cream if I'm at home. It's much easier to exercise before breakfast where this never happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharrryn