Type 2 Pap & Diabetes

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would like to know whether pap is diabetes frindly and also fits into low carb diet

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would like to know whether pap is diabetes frindly and also fits into low carb diet
Not sure what you mean by pap. My childhood was filled with 'pap' which was my mothers term for baby food such as bread soaked in milk. or Farleys Rusk in milk, or bland cereal mush such as semolina or tapioca.

Please provide more info for us since it is probably not a term that many have used in their lives here.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(Edited to make my question more clear)

Hi @tayelola , could you tell us what ingredients you use for your pap?
From the other answers I expect it has quite a lot of carbs but it seems to be a bit unclear what exactly it is made of.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pap is maize porridge so I’d guess it’s pretty high in carbs. Would suggest testing a small portion to see how your blood glucose responds.

Personally I’d avoid it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"All the pap varieties had a very high carbohydrate content (79.47–85.29 g/100 g dry matter). Appreciable levels of phosphorus and potassium were recorded in all the pap varieties (137.5–231.0 mg/100 g dry matter and 198.20–322.22 mg/100 g dry matter, respectively)"
agro.icm.edu.pl

Also known as Ogi

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"All the pap varieties had a very high carbohydrate content (79.47–85.29 g/100 g dry matter). Appreciable levels of phosphorus and potassium were recorded in all the pap varieties (137.5–231.0 mg/100 g dry matter and 198.20–322.22 mg/100 g dry matter, respectively)"
agro.icm.edu.pl

Also known as Ogi
I must thank you all for your comments. @Oldvatr actually hit the nail on the head. Pap is maize meal mixed with hot water.