1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Paradigm REAL-Time

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by jonesy, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jonesy

jonesy · Well-Known Member

is this the only insulin pump that comes with a CGM?

2. cugila

cugila · Master

Some current and future continuous glucose monitoring products include:

FreeStyle Navigator (recently approved by the FDA)
    Medtronic Minimed Paradigm Real Time Continuous Glucose Monitor
    The Guardian by Medtronic Minimed
    Dexcom SEVEN CGM
    GlucoDay S (released in 2001, may not still be available)
    Senzime (future)
    There may be others still in the pipeline ?

You will have to check each one out individually unless someeone knows something about them ?

3. jonesy

jonesy · Well-Known Member

i think you're talking about just glucose monitors. i was asking about a combined pump and monitor.
    but, thanks anyway.

4. cugila

cugila · Master

No. It looks like it is the only one at present. I'm sure some other companies are developing similar devices.

5. icarusman

icarusman · Member

Animas and Dexcom are currently working on a combined pump and CGM, and it should be ready in the not too distant future (according to one of thier reps). Sounds like a winning combo to me. I'm hoping that they get it out before I finally get approval. :?

6. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Omnipod also has agreements with dexcom and navigator and are supposed to be working on integrated systems. Omnipod isn't yet available in Europe but they did get an EU mark earlier in the year so presumably are looking to expand their market.

So at the moment I think that minmed is the only choice but in a couple of years the picture may be very different.

7. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

It's worth delving into the small print and trying to find out what they actually measure and how they do so. The Medtronic system has been around for a while now, and as far as I know is based on "1st generation CGM". It measures glucose levels in interstitial fluid, and consequently is not completely accurate, one reason why it's not normally funded. Also can be up to around 20 minutes behind the blood glucose level, depending on where the sensor is sited and other factors. Although it seems to have settled down now, when I first had mine I might as well have been monitoring my neighbour, the sensor readings bore little relation to meter values.

I have read elsewhere that the Medtronic system is known to be the least accurate of what's currently available. But it's better than nothing, and these things always seem to progress fairly rapidly.

8. bowness15

bowness15 · Member

Thanks for the information, which CGM's that have a pump with them are in the top range of availability these days then? :?

Choices are so hard these days? :|

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook