Parent of 3yr old with type 1

Gemini Jo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, especially to the parents of children with type 1,

It's taken me a while to introduce myself because I didn't really know where to start, I guess the beginning would be obvious place but my daughter had other complications as well as diabetes, this is going to be a long thread, so here goes.

I am mum to two children, my daughter aged 3 and my son aged 10 and I have a wonderful husband who is my rock. My daughter was diagnosed back in August of 2013 she was just 21 months old. She suffered severe DKA and things weren't going well, her body was shutting down and she was extremely poorly to the extent we were told she may lose her life! She was given life saving treatment in another hospital but her little body suffered, they had to remove a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) from her right leg and relieve the pressure in her calf, they also removed most of her large intestine because it was infected and causing sepsis, so a stoma had to be formed with a possibility of it being reversed in the future. We spent a total of 3 months in different hospitals and with a lot of intensive care she pulled through. We finally brought her home just before her 3rd birthday with an insulin pump, a huge stoma bag on her belly and unable to walk without support. Our family life as we knew it was turned upside down and inside out.

That was nearly 18 months ago and a lot has changed, both with family life and with our daughter. We have to plan ahead with practically everything; shopping, days out, eating out, etc. The stoma was successfully reversed in September 2013, she can walking independently with some support and we have her diabetes under control, most of the time ;).

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gemini Jo, what a touching but difficult journey you must be having, it's an inspiration reading through your post, fortitude personified.

Can't help advise you too much with type 1 as I'm a type 2, what I can tell you is there are heaps of other parents here who will be able to give you some great advice and will be better able to relate to having a young child with diabetes.

Great to hear you're back home fighting the good fight, optimistic with her diabetes under control.

I will tag @daisy1 who will pass by at some point with some great information, meanwhile check out this section of our forum specially dedicated to parents:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/parents.16/

Al the best
Daks

Gemini Jo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Daks,

Thanks for your reply and link, really appreciate it. I'm the same regarding type 2 and can't advise you.

Take care
Gemini Jo

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
that is aweful for your daughter to go through that, but really glad to her she is on the mend

C

catherinecherub

What a dreadful struggle for you as a family and even harder than most considering the stoma. Poor little mite, I hope it can be reversed later.
You are doing very well and should be congratulated.

Any questions then please ask and your experiences can help others so please answer some posts as well.

Take care and ((((hugs)))) for you all.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @Gemini Jo, your daughter sounds like an absolute fighter & totally incredible, as do you! So sorry for what you have been through but you sounds like you are coping incredible well! I was diagnosed aged 3 and have been on the pump for a year now, found it life changing. Hope you find the forum helpful :) Abbie x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone, especially to the parents of children with type 1,

It's taken me a while to introduce myself because I didn't really know where to start, I guess the beginning would be obvious place but my daughter had other complications as well as diabetes, this is going to be a long thread, so here goes.

I am mum to two children, my daughter aged 3 and my son aged 10 and I have a wonderful husband who is my rock. My daughter was diagnosed back in August of 2013 she was just 21 months old. She suffered severe DKA and things weren't going well, her body was shutting down and she was extremely poorly to the extent we were told she may lose her life! She was given life saving treatment in another hospital but her little body suffered, they had to remove a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) from her right leg and relieve the pressure in her calf, they also removed most of her large intestine because it was infected and causing sepsis, so a stoma had to be formed with a possibility of it being reversed in the future. We spent a total of 3 months in different hospitals and with a lot of intensive care she pulled through. We finally brought her home just before her 3rd birthday with an insulin pump, a huge stoma bag on her belly and unable to walk without support. Our family life as we knew it was turned upside down and inside out.

That was nearly 18 months ago and a lot has changed, both with family life and with our daughter. We have to plan ahead with practically everything; shopping, days out, eating out, etc. The stoma was successfully reversed in September 2013, she can walking independently with some support and we have her diabetes under control, most of the time ;).

Oh my goodness, my heartfelt wishes go out to you, your little girl and your family. My granddaughter was extremely ill too and was fighting for her life at 2 1/2 years when diagnosed,
Your last paragraph is like a breath of fresh air, with a very positive outlook for the road ahead :)

I wish you all the very best for the future and welcome :)

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How awful for your daughter and all your family Gemini Jo, can't begin to imagine what it must have felt like seeing her go through all that, only hope things improve from here on. Best wishes.

Reactions: 4 people