Parking fine...treating hypo!!!

nivenj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why didnt the OP top up the parking ticket? Surely putting another half hour in the meter would have been the sensible thing to do? Unless it was a medical emergency requiring third party assistance to treat the hypo I cant see why having a hypo stops you from paying for parking.

Standard4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would not have gone anywhere near the car...
"Grey area", but if one takes note of the legality of being under the influence in charge of a motor vehicle?
Then mash that up with a police patrol routine (trained to spot suspicious activity.) round a car park on the offensive to deter car thieves & they just happen across such an individual "under such influence" sat in the car...?

If you are having a hypo when you are driving, or parked, besides the obvious to immediately safely stop and treat, you MUST vacate the drivers seat and sit elsewhere in car, and remove keys from ignition and place in glovebox if on your one or give to anyone with you.
You mustnt be found in drivers seat when blood sugar is below 5 mmol, not just when having hypo. You should always vacate, and not have keys on you if a Police arrive for any reason. Removing yourself from vehicle is best, but not always possible.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously?

I have known for 30+ years exactly what circumstances cause my hypos.
If I haven't learned how to manage them by now...

Of course, i do still balls up. I'm human. But when i think about what happened i can easily work out why.
And that helps me make the next one more controllable.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do nothing until a county court letter comes thru your letter box - which has a 95% chance will never happen. You didn't break any laws by over staying you ticket time. If you do contact the parking company tell them you're quite happy explaining your circumstances to a judge.

Reactions: sepuku

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As long as you are happy to pay court costs if the judge rules against you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do nothing until a county court letter comes thru your letter box - which has a 95% chance will never happen. You didn't break any laws by over staying you ticket time. If you do contact the parking company tell them you're quite happy explaining your circumstances to a judge.

Leave it that long...? You either have a "silver tongue" or can afford some **** good lawyers....

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
What you need to do is ask your diabetes nurse or consultant to provide you with a letter saying you have diabetes and also write to parking company a long with citizens advice letter stating why you were over allowed parking time and you should get your parking fine overturned on appeal

Micks Grill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
S
Playing Devils Advocate:

I'm shopping, and I wrench my ankle. It requires a sit down and a recovery period before I manage to hobble back to the car.
- and there is a ticket because I am late.

Would I consider trying to avoid paying?

Hell no.

Sorry but I can not agree - twisting an ankle is an accident , a spur of the moment by chance happening.

Diabetes is a long term / life long medical condition that is often sporadic in symptom and severity -it is unpredictable to a degree (as are the secondary affects of levels going high or low).

The DVLA have these guidelines for exactly this reason - as these incidences "could" occur often - along the line a precedent was looked at somewhere and agreed before the guidelines were written. It can happen to many, often.

This is why you get free NHS prescriptions , this is why the HMRC will allow an appeal on a late Tax Return submission if appealed on health grounds for a diabetic - it is accepted that this thing that hounds us all often causes health complications beyond our control.

Sorry, but your argument is like saying "people shouldn't drive because cars have been known to have accidents and people can die" - it happens (like a twisted ankle) but it's not likely, half expected or often - if the obvious self safety measures are applied ("do not deliberately walk awkwardly, and look where you are going if you want to avoid prevent a sprained ankle"

And as pointed out stellson didn't "hobble back to the car" - they were already in it.

Challenge it - all the way!
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/members/stellson.351296/

Reactions: sepuku

rhiannab13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why? I see no difference at all.

There are many, many reasons why someone returns late to their car. In every case they have outstayed their contract time and the fine becomes due.

Hi Brunneria,

I would have to disagree. The intention to move the car was there (as with the ankle situation) but in this case, by moving the car, she would be breaking the law and if she had been involved in any kind of accident from the moment she put the key in the ignition she would also be guilty of driving with no insurance as she is only insured when following rules of the DVLA (not driving whilst below 5mmol). Therefore I think staying put was the correct move. If you want to be devil's advocate, then the question should be why was the extra time parked not paid for (if possible) that at least shows an intention to abide by the parking company's rules??

To be clear - I think Stellson should contact the company and not pay the fine.

D

Deleted member 308541

To be clear - I think Stellson should contact the company and not pay the fine.
Then will probably be refused access to a private car park in future.

Pay up and be done with it the, the OP knows he / she was in the wrong.

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
These things happen, even to the most diligent. Not everyone can afford just to pay out £70.00 for being ill.

Micks Grill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm quite miffed having read this thread now. Not only do we face a lack of compassion and understanding from the public in general but fellow diabetics too. And anytime myself or my daughter have a hypo it's our own fault. At times, this forum does more harm than good.

I think the fine should be waived. Why do we need to punished for having an illness that half the time just does what the heck it wants, despite our best efforts?

I hope the OP gets the outcome they deserve.

I have been a member here for two years or more but just lurk and rarely post (this is my 2nd - on this thread) for exactly this reason " Not only do we face a lack of compassion and understanding from the public in general but fellow diabetics too".

This forum's members can be bafflingly unsupportive.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Every one has the right to appeal the decision whether they are successful or not is another matter thats why there is a proccess for making such an appeal.

If you where to attempt to drive a car with a broken ankle you would also be breaking the law by the way that also could be grounds for appealing.

It is unlawful to drive when unfit to do so for what ever reason.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There were three choices. 1 drive the car, break the law and put yourself and others in danger. 2 Go looking for a parking meter in a possible impaired mental and physical condition. 3 treat the hypo. I know which I would do.

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today i received a £70 parking fine from a private company for overstaying by 20 minutes. My reason for overstaying and not moving my car within the time allowed is that I was legally not safe to drive as I was abiding by the DVLA regulations and treating my hypo to raise it to 5mmols and then waiting 45 minutes to ensure the safety of me, my baby and other drivers.

I've not contacted parking company as im waiting on a call back from citizens advice about this however if I don't pay within 8 days they'll increase the charge and take it further....so was I to risk all these lives and break the law???? Confused.....
If it is a Parking PCN and not a Penalty PCN then the private company is not backed up by the Police and can be ignored

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today i received a £70 parking fine from a private company for overstaying by 20 minutes. My reason for overstaying and not moving my car within the time allowed is that I was legally not safe to drive as I was abiding by the DVLA regulations and treating my hypo to raise it to 5mmols and then waiting 45 minutes to ensure the safety of me, my baby and other drivers.

I've not contacted parking company as im waiting on a call back from citizens advice about this however if I don't pay within 8 days they'll increase the charge and take it further....so was I to risk all these lives and break the law???? Confused.....
If it is a Parking PCN and not a Penalty PCN then the private company is not backed up by the Police and can be ignored

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why? I see no difference at all.

There are many, many reasons why someone returns late to their car. In every case they have outstayed their contract time and the fine becomes due.
These private parking company fines are seen as unreasonable and you can write to them and offer a reasonable amount which they will accept

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
These private parking company fines are seen as unreasonable and you can write to them and offer a reasonable amount which they will accept