1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Parking???

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Baid, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:11 PM.

1. Baid

Baid · Newbie

Hi Everyone
    I am new here today, I am78 years young and Type 1 Diabetic and first diagnosed in 1975.
    Does anyone else have this problem....often out and about and rarely have a hypo and have to park quickly when feeling symptoms coming on, again rarely have no medication with me, so quickly get to shop and back to find parking ticket!!! Have managed so far to have this revoked.......but is there, not even here, a sign to put in to car window when/if this happens?? There are so many of us out here, surely there should be one??
    I am now going to have one printed myself so if anyone wants one, just drop me a line please.
    There seems to ba a notice for any other condition but not for us it seems!?!?!
    Thanks for reading this and hope to connect with you soon.
    Chris xx

• Like Like x 1
  2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Hi @Baid
    That does not sound very good and I understand how frustrating it can be.
    Thankfully, with regular testing and hypo treatment within every pocket, bag and compartment within my car, I have no experienced the parking ticket issue.
    It's great that you feel your hypos and are able to pull over but I wonder if there is anything you can do to limit them.
    Have you spoken to your diabetes team about a Libre? This has really helped me with forecasting hypos and treating them before they become an issue.

3. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I’m very glad you are hypo aware when driving but I think keeping something permanently in the car to stop a potentially serious hypo rather than parking it in a spot that could cause problems to you and other people is probably easier and safer.

I’m excluding acute hypoglycaemia that needs help from others though, feel free to stop anywhere for that one!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fndwheelie

Fndwheelie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe get a pack of glucose tablets to sit in your car glove box, one or two of them should buy you enough time to park officially before going into the shop. 3 or 4 gluco-tabs should solve the hypo without need for the shop allowing you to stay with the car until feeling better. They usually have a very long shelf life, and don’t get affected by hot or cold.

Added bonus, if you stay with the car during a hypo and a traffic warden walks up, you wind down the window explain the situation, tell him “I’m diabetic, currently in a hypo, regulations state I cannot drive my vehicle until my sugars are higher. You can stand here and write me a ticket, or you can go to the shop just there and buy me a can of coke, and I will be fine to move my vehicle in 15 minutes” as you pass out a quid to him thinking him for his help and understanding. Then if he does write a ticket you will generally get it over turned if you fight it that he knew your situation and wanted you to break the law by moving the car.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #4 Fndwheelie, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 12:30 PM
  5. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I just wanted to add the advice I was given regarding hypo when driving:
    - always testing before driving and every 2 hours. Libre and CGM readings are now accepted.
    - keep hypo treatment with you at all times
    - pull over when you have a hypo
    - move to the passenger seat to prove you are not in control of the car when treating hypo

The last point is the one that was least obvious to me and definitely worth bearing in mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I too, am glad you're hypo aware. I hope you're okay now, I cannot comment much on your situation. However my bf's car always has a crate of coke in the boot. No matter where we are going, there is a box of 24 cans of coke in the boot. I know it sounds a lot but you never know, life saving for myself and potentially could help someone if I ever come across another fellow diabetic. I'm not the sort of person to carry glucose tabs, but they're useful in the glove box, always move to the passenger seat until your recover. Apparently you can get into a lot of trouble if you're found in the driver seat with a hypo.

7. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome to the forum @Baid Nice to have you on board and with so many t1 years under your belt too :)

As others have said it's good to keep something like glucotabs or jelly babies in your car so they are close to hand to treat as soon as you feel any hypo coming, keeping good hypo awareness is key for all us type 1's, so it's good you can feel these coming on.

In regards to a sign, to be honest i've not come across one, as we are all told now by DVLA to take the keys out of the ignition, then move across to the passenger seat out of the driver's seat and treat your hypo with fast acting carbs until above 5, then leave it 45 minutes before setting off, the idea is you stay in the vehicle to treat and move on when safe to do so:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/driving#test

Hope this helps :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook