Parkrun

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Fantastic! Brilliant story! Amazing will power to make the changes you needed but didnt want to make :)

the only thing i dont like about your story is your time, waaaaaah im in age group 40-45 and my pb is 46:40

Well done mate, its great having another one of us on here :D

i wonder if we got enough we could have a diabetic parkrun hehe

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Andy12345 said:
Fantastic! Brilliant story! Amazing will power to make the changes you needed but didnt want to make :)

the only thing i dont like about your story is your time, waaaaaah im in age group 40-45 and my pb is 46:40

Well done mate, its great having another one of us on here :D

i wonder if we got enough we could have a diabetic parkrun hehe

Andy yours is 26:40 not 46:40 doing yourself down there mate.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yikes lol thankyou :) i just knocked 20 minutes off thanks to you, you must be a hell of a good coach :D

aceofthebase

Times do not matter, well not strictly true as I'm quite competitive!

My first park run was 27m 06 secs and I have now done six and each time I have had a PB knocking off 20-30 secs and the last a mere 6secs.

As well as just running, try to incorporate some speed work. Interval training or hill climbs. Each week I try to do a distance run with no speed objective. + a shorter run with sprints and intervals etc + a park run or a 10k run

What am I doing lecturing I have only been running for 6 months!

But more important is to eat the right food and avoid the trash being sold in our shops, garages etc.

Another good throw away line is

one bad meal does not make you fat
one salad does not make you slim.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hey :)

im happy to have another parkrunner :) shouldnt be so surprised as exercise is so important to us

easy to say times dont matter when your FASTER THAN ME lol

ive been contemplating the interval thing but havent actually tried it yet

i go onto a website called "therunningbug" if anyone fancies it, you can log your miles and other members leave nice little comments of encouragement, its very cool, lots advice and tips too :)

im volunteering for the parkrun in the morning so im a little nervous but should be fun :)

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Andy12345 said:

im happy to have another parkrunner :) shouldnt be so surprised as exercise is so important to us

i go onto a website called "therunningbug" if anyone fancies it, you can log your miles and other members leave nice little comments of encouragement, its very cool, lots advice and tips too :)

im volunteering for the parkrun in the morning so im a little nervous but should be fun :)

Well done for volunteering, all helps to make it happen. I am volunteering next week as I am doing a 10k on the Sunday.

Time, that's just an individual thing. When I did my first one 10 weeks ago the plan was "well it would be nice to get in under 30 minutes" which considering my activities were 30 minutes swimming a day and a fair bit of walking but no running was about all I could expect.

Now those pesky 9 seconds to get to 24 mins....

No I have not signed up for a marathon..... I think I could do it, I did 11 miles over the hills on Monday in a hour and forty eight minutes without any problems but 29 years isn't long enough to forget what its like. :D I think my lass would still quite like me to have a go at it again, one of these clever buggers who doesn't actually say it but you know it is still there....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi,

i volunteered today as said, i did the pre race setup which ill do alot more as i can still run in the parkrun and get to work on time, i only sit around waiting for 9am anyway, i also did the last runner which went ok i spose, it was a little weird as i wanted to get my barcode zapped so i can collect runs to get my 50 t-shirt (you get a free t-shirt for 50 and 100 runs completed) and we all know i love a t-shirt lol so i felt guilty walking behind folks and getting the race on my record so i sort of jogged on the spot behind the walkers lol and towards the end the last runner was an old dude and i didnt want him to see me behind him with a bright yellow bib on saying last runner marshall in bright yellow, i figured what could possibly make you feel worse so i hung back a bit, but it did make me feel apart of it so i enjoyed it alot :thumbup:

time 43:30 no mistake this time hehe

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Mongoose39uk said:
Andy12345 said:

Well done for volunteering, all helps to make it happen. I am volunteering next week as I am doing a 10k on the Sunday.

Time, that's just an individual thing. When I did my first one 10 weeks ago the plan was "well it would be nice to get in under 30 minutes" which considering my activities were 30 minutes swimming a day and a fair bit of walking but no running was about all I could expect.

Now those pesky 9 seconds to get to 24 mins....

No I have not signed up for a marathon..... I think I could do it, I did 11 miles over the hills on Monday in a hour and forty eight minutes without any problems but 29 years isn't long enough to forget what its like. :D I think my lass would still quite like me to have a go at it again, one of these clever buggers who doesn't actually say it but you know it is still there....

mate that 11 miles is fast! you have to do the marathon :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Andy12345 said:
Hi, i hope you dont mind me starting a thread about the Parkrun, i love this event, its held every saturday at 9am and its completely free, its a 5k race/run/jog/walk it is held all around the country and on every continent (over 300 in the uk i think), its designed to encourage excercise, there are good folks organising it and it is marshalled by volunteers, they record your times if your interested and publish them so you can plot your times and progress, so if your able it would be great to go along and have a go, there are a complete range of levels from fantastic runners to slow plodders (me) everyone is friendly and there is no pressure from anyone regardless of your fitness level, in my parkrun (nonsuch park) there are usually between 300-400 people taking part each week so its easy to hide in the crowd if your nervous, you can also just walk or even just walk half the distance, the point isnt to win gold medals its just a nice way to get out the house on a saturday morning and get some exercise, if your able to exercise it helps bgs so get yourself to the website http://www.parkrun.org.uk have a look and see what you think and maybe sign up, its completely free & non profit making, best of luck if you fancy giving it a go, i know a few here are already signed up so we can post our progress here if we wish :)

Andy

Just an extra idea :idea: for you here Andy12345 .

We do have a fundraising and event threads site set up here .
You may wish to post in this too ?
Post the place , dates of events , venue/location , times of events etc
Piccys after any event and event work in progress posts can be included there also .

viewforum.php?f=32

Hope this can help .

Anna .

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Wow! thankyou anna :) how could i not have known about this? doh..... :thumbup: Thankyou :thumbup:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
You're welcome Andy12345

Same for mongoose , aceofthebase , Richard plus any other walkers/runners .

You can all post and add in any diabetes, good causes events/fundraisers details .

Post any work in progress help,tips and support each other .
Pop on any photos before/after events if you wish to .

Wonder if there are any events near me happening ?
There is an st catherines northwest preston moonlight walk for the ladies each year .
They walk at night all lit up with bright gear and festooned in decorations/lights etc.
Looks great fun and is done from 10pm till later .

I will have to find out 'when' it is - will post it up for any ladies wishing
to attend this .

Anna .

spideog

Have been doing a good few parkruns myself as part of my general running training, still need another 10 I think before I get my 50 tshirt.

They are a great way of getting some regular exercise started for everyone, and you get the full range of abilities turning up to them as a good social event. I sometimes run them as a warm up before another run, or as a speed session (have even been first finisher a couple of times) or as a recovery run after a marathon the week before.

Love the cakes and coffee afterwards too. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
spideog said:
Have been doing a good few parkruns myself as part of my general running training, still need another 10 I think before I get my 50 tshirt.

They are a great way of getting some regular exercise started for everyone, and you get the full range of abilities turning up to them as a good social event. I sometimes run them as a warm up before another run, or as a speed session (have even been first finisher a couple of times) or as a recovery run after a marathon the week before.

Love the cakes and coffee afterwards too. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hiya Spideog, great to hear we have another parkrunner here :D you are obviously wayyyyy ahead of me im just training for my first marathon and am normally 150th + hehe but totally agree about the parkruns :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, park run yesterday 26:58 I'm not convinced about that time it definitely felt faster :)

I decided at midnight last night to go and enter "10k old deer park, Richmond" so I got up at 7am had a 9 bar for brekkie and off I went, this is my biggest most proper race to date :) the distance was a little too comfortable so I decided to run a little harder, it was difficult to know how hard to push as I've only done either 5ks or 10 mile plus runs so I went for middle hard hehe, I made a huge mistake by starting at the back, as it was a big race I was a little nervous and didn't want to get in the way, this was a mistake as I spent the first 5k weaving past people which really slowed me down, at times almost tripping over folks, but this didn't detract from the experience, it was AMAZING, they had loud music playing rocky tunes etc and even had the familiar London marathon tune as we ran through the start line, I was grinning from ear to ear, this turned into my puffing grimace that I've been working on changing with some success but still find myself pulling the constipated lemon sucker when I forget, the second half I found a little tough as you kinda ran past people coming the other way that were way in front which was a bit soul destroying as you passed ALOT of them knowing you had to run back, but then it got easier on the return trip, all in the mind of course :) the finish line was huge with big crowds and even a dude on a loud speaker who cheered on my number, followed by someone putting a medal around my neck, well I have to say this is so very special, I haven't got a medal before, this is an emotional thing for me, I will treasure it forever, I actually ate the banana and penguin they gave me at the end, don't know why on earth I did but they are in there now and I can't take em out so I've moved on lol, all in all I am elated by the whole experience, I learned so much, and can't wait until London

Thanks for letting me share

X

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Well done Andy.

I did a 50:18 for the parkrun yesterday. Last place marker as I was doing the Leeds Abbey dash 10k today.

Up at stupid o'clock is normal for me. Binned the idea of breakfast, I just can't eat that early.

I finished comfortably which is all I wanted as it is only 11 weeks since I started running again. Can't wait for the time to come through tomorrow though.

:D

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
excellent job volunteering mate :) being last runner is weird huh lol

great job on the race too :) i keep refreshing the results page but after what youve said im going to try and leave it alone until the morning so i dont drive myself mad hehe, it took me about 45 seconds to get to start line and the clock said 56 mins or something like that so i reckon my time will be able 55 mins which im really happy with, forgot to stop my watch as usual so ill have to wait :)

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Deliberately being last is certainly an experience.

I think the clock said 53:40 but not sure. I was in the third wave of starters so the chip time should be interesting.

I enjoyed it that's the important bit.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the important thing is that marathon your building upto :thumbup:

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Results are in 00:53:57 gun time 00:49:46 chip time. very happy with that.