Partial sight and driving

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People judging my condition not knowing enough about it.
Hi, I had a vitrectomy in February and will need further surgery to remove the silicone oil they put in my eye to hold the retina in place. My sight in the affected eye is quite fuzzy but I compensate with my good eye. I didn’t know this but apparently driving with one eye is not illegal!
I won’t drive as I am not comfortable but I also need to renew my license on the 3 year medical basis.
My question is that when I go for the sight test which is required for renewal, will my application be refused as one of my eyes is not 100% clear? It just made me wonder after hearing that driving with one eye is not illegal. Anyone have any answers? Thank you.

Lilylala

Hi they will make you take a field range test which is a bit like space invaders game you press a button when you see a dot passing by , they can then see if your pariphial vision is impacted depending on the percentage to whether the DVLA should have to be informed

Reactions: suk

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The issue you will have is it takes a while to adjust to the way the world looks with one eye…. So you may miss a lot you’d normally see

An optician is the best to as about driving and the legality of it

My grandad had only 1 eye from the age of 15 after one got shot out.. and he led a pretty normal life and retained a driving license until he died.. the only odd thing was finding his eye on the sideboard…

So yes possible… more hoops to jump through..

The biggest issue you may encounter is having 2 functioning eyes they might want both to conform to a certain standard where duffest rules may apply if you have only 1 or are totally blind in 1

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Best check with the optician, as we're all different, but the friend I mentioned before that had the same as you, was told by her optician she was fine to drive as the vision in her other eye was good. However, she didn't feel happy driving until the eye that had been operated on was better than it initially was, and she got new glasses.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just an update on the eye situation. I saw a doctor(not the surgeon) and after checking the eye he told me that the retina was in place and flat. However it wasn’t looking healthy as the blood vessels had been compromised due to it being detached for a long time. I have to say that the original diagnosis was blood in the eye that needed an operation to remove the jelly. Due to Covid, I had 2 operations cancelled. The detachment wasn’t recognised until the day of the operation so yet again Covid has a lot to answer for. I am now left with partial sight in one eye. So disappointed

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so sorry @suk. Do you think it would be worth getting a second opinion from a retinal surgeon? Sending lots of hugs, I know how devastated I would feel in your situation. So hard that you had 2 operations cancelled. Take care.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you @Hopeful34, I have an appointment on Thursday with the retinal surgeon who performed my surgery. I’m hoping he can give some better news.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do hope so. A few years ago, I was at the podiatrist and a man started chatting. He was type 2 and had had 2 operations on his eye at our local hospital, I think it was on his retina, but am not sure, anyway they didn't go well, but then he went to a bigger hospital and a different surgeon operated on him, and it was successful. I don't want to get your hopes up too much, but wanted to encourage you that there may be something that will give you a better outcome. Please keep us updated.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Will do. Thanks

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So I saw the surgeon yesterday and I have to say he raised my spirits by telling me that the retina was back in place and that he was hopeful I could have improved sight once the silicone oil and cataract had been removed.
Nothing guaranteed of course but for now I am feeling hopeful

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am so glad you've been given more hope, that's good news. Do you have any timescale for getting the oil removed and cataract op? Thanks for updating us. Take care.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a congenital condition which means I have very limited vision in my right eye. Age 18 I was told I was not permitted to drive and made to return my provisional licence. Age 36 I discovered the original doctor was wrong and we are allowed to drive with one eye. My optician wrote to the DLVA to get my licence back.

However, as I now have arthritis in my neck and shoulder I struggle to turn my head so I don't feel safe having such limited vision on my right side - I am surprised DVLA don't take things like this into account!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a congenital condition which means I have very limited vision in my right eye. Age 18 I was told I was not permitted to drive and made to return my provisional licence. Age 36 I discovered the original doctor was wrong and we are allowed to drive with one eye. My optician wrote to the DLVA to get my licence back.

However, as I now have arthritis in my neck and shoulder I struggle to turn my head so I don't feel safe having such limited vision on my right side - I am surprised DVLA don't take things like this into account!

hi,

If you have a look at the DVLA there is a very comprehensive list of conditions that you are required to inform about.
Arthritis is on the list.
I can’t remember the details (it is a while since I read the details), but I suspect that if your arthritis affects range of vision and/or reaction times, or anything else that will make driving unsafe, then you are obliged to declare it. I know I was horrified to learn that I have a health condition (prolactinoma) that I was supposed to declare, but had no idea and had been driving for over 20 yrs with it. Of course, I immediately declared it, and was informed that, with my current situation and medication, I could continue to drive, but should inform them if things worsened.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Am so glad you've been given more hope, that's good news. Do you have any timescale for getting the oil removed and cataract op? Thanks for updating us. Take care.

I have not been given a date for the op yet but I signed the consent form and have to wait. I’m hoping it won’t be too long but Covid still takes priority.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just an update, I had my second operation last week to remove the silicone oil and cataract.
As yet, I have very little vision in my left eye. Was told it’d take a few weeks so crossing my fingers that vision will be restored in time.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had a vitrectomy in February and will need further surgery to remove the silicone oil they put in my eye to hold the retina in place. My sight in the affected eye is quite fuzzy but I compensate with my good eye. I didn’t know this but apparently driving with one eye is not illegal!
I won’t drive as I am not comfortable but I also need to renew my license on the 3 year medical basis.
My question is that when I go for the sight test which is required for renewal, will my application be refused as one of my eyes is not 100% clear? It just made me wonder after hearing that driving with one eye is not illegal. Anyone have any answers? Thank you.
I had a double vitrectomy so am off the road but do have a one eyed friend (one glass eye not Cycolps) who does drive.
I would wait until the sight problem is resolved so that there is no confusion since legally your consultant would have to record the result of any advice he/she gives to you re driving.
As I recall you have to be able to see the 6th line of the sight test although there may be more to it than that (its been 17 years for me!).

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update: was told yesterday that the retina has started to detach again!! So booked in for another operation. Round 3

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so sorry, you're having a rough time of it. Sending big hugs and hopefully this operation will be successful and will be the last!! Take care.