Partial sight and driving

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People judging my condition not knowing enough about it.
Thank you Hopeful34!

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So I’ve had my 3rd operation and silicone oil added again to hold the retina in place.
Consultant had said some patients have the oil in the eye permanently. Healing will take a long while so just have to get used to it.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Has anyone ever had a laser capsulotomy (yag)?
Following 3 surgeries for a detached retina my eyesight in one eye is still not good and I’ve been told I can have this procedure which may improve matters. Just wondering if anyone has had this done and whether it made any difference?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry you're still having problems with your vision. Hope that if you have this it will help.

The friend I posted about previously who had the detached retina, went on to develop a cataract (had been told this would happen). This was successfully removed, but then a year later they had to have a laser capsulotomy. It made a big difference to their vision, and was completely painless.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for this Hopeful34.
It makes me more positive to hear this.

Reactions: Hopeful34

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had yag, I think I've had it twice.
I had a congential problem that was operated on, then had complications and I think the yag was used to help those.
It was all a few years ago and I didnt know diabetes would mean I needed to take more notice of my sight and operations so sorry if it sounds vague.
Yes it did make a difference, no it didn't hurt.
I have ended up missing part of the vision in one eye. I drive and it isn't a problem until the day a fly flew into my good eye... that wasn't fun as it watered so much I couldn't see. I had to pull over. Now I keep windows firmly closed.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've had yag, I think I've had it twice.
I had a congential problem that was operated on, then had complications and I think the yag was used to help those.
It was all a few years ago and I didnt know diabetes would mean I needed to take more notice of my sight and operations so sorry if it sounds vague.
Yes it did make a difference, no it didn't hurt.
I have ended up missing part of the vision in one eye. I drive and it isn't a problem until the day a fly flew into my good eye... that wasn't fun as it watered so much I couldn't see. I had to pull over. Now I keep windows firmly closed.

It’s good you can still drive, my worry was that i wouldn’t be able to drive and thus lose my independence.
I have advised the DVLA but still no response!
I know they’re busy but not even an acknowledgment.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just an update on my ongoing left eye issues.
I had a laser capsulotomy in September which unfortunately has been unsuccessful. So now booked in to have a surgical capsulotomy. It’s been a long road. All started at n August 2020.
I’m hoping this next procedure is successful although have been warned it may not be

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry the laser capsulotomy didn't work, and hope the surgical one is successful. You've had a tough time of it. Sending hugs x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you
Good luck. My vitrectomy was in both eyes and my consultant confirmed that I did not meet the standard (had taken myself off the road).
I am left with a good level of sight in both too but it took a while to settle and I then found I could only see the 3rd or 4th line of the distance test whereas the driving standard is 6th line so that's a crude way I knew.
I cycle a lot now and have a bus pass plus willing chauffeur btw so it wasn't a catastrophe for me!

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Really sorry the laser capsulotomy didn't work, and hope the surgical one is successful. You've had a tough time of it. Sending hugs x

Thank you! Yes, it’s certainly been a rough ride the last couple of years. I’m addition to the eye problem I’ve also had problems with my rheumatoid arthritis. Had this condition for 20 years but as I get older it seems to be worsening. So was diagnosed with cellulitis in my foot and ankle earlier this week.
It never ends

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So 4th eye operation performed 2 days ago. No change in vision. Due to see the surgeon in 4 weeks time.
I think there’s probably nothing more to be done and I just have to accept that this is how it’s to be going forward.
Surgeon admitted that if the 1st operation had been performed urgently my sight would be fine but COVID-19 delayed 2 operations. Covid had a lot to answer for.
Have to be grateful for all the good things in my life and not sweat the small stuff.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so sorry on that it would seem that all your operations haven't resulted in a good outcome, and to find out that it's the delays caused by Covid that's caused this is awful. Agree we have to be grateful for the good things in our life, but sight isn't "small stuff", at least not in my opinion. I'd be devastated if this happened to me. Sending hugs x

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you Hopeful34.
Such is life ‍♀️

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you Hopeful34.
Such is life ‍♀️
Sorry to hear about the eye problems and I hope that the cellulitis clears up. Perhaps if you aren't having further eye surgery just now there will be a chance for recovery and adjusting to the sight loss.
I adjusted to mine which mainly amounts to being off road but I was angry at my dependence on my husband first so allow yourself that anger! It isn't a small thing and it wasn't your fault that it happened and that the government decided to close down the non covid health service.
Have you heard back from Swansea DVLA yet? Not sure if you are off the road for good but there are advantages to that situation (never having to be the designated driver). I also am grateful for the existence of Audible which had this happened to me 15 years ago would mean I missed out on great books etc.
Best of luck.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry to hear about the eye problems and I hope that the cellulitis clears up. Perhaps if you aren't having further eye surgery just now there will be a chance for recovery and adjusting to the sight loss.
I adjusted to mine which mainly amounts to being off road but I was angry at my dependence on my husband first so allow yourself that anger! It isn't a small thing and it wasn't your fault that it happened and that the government decided to close down the non covid health service.
Have you heard back from Swansea DVLA yet? Not sure if you are off the road for good but there are advantages to that situation (never having to be the designated driver). I also am grateful for the existence of Audible which had this happened to me 15 years ago would mean I missed out on great books etc.
Best of luck.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.
I have been issued with a driving licence following an eye test. Apparently driving is legal even with restricted vision in one eye.
I only drive to places I know locally and during daylight.
You are right, it is a case of getting used to the restricted sight and I have full vision in my right eye so it compensates.
It’s just annoying that it could have been avoided if I’d had the first operation in time.
I suppose after living with type 1 for 50 years I should be grateful that I don’t have more debilitating complications.
It also annoys me that people automatically assume the eye problem is down to my diabetes. The bleed happened when I took a bad fall onto my head which subsequently resulted in the detached retina.
Things happen and it’s a case of acceptance that nothing could be done to change it.
Onwards and upwards

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry to keep harping on about my eye problem but I wonder if anyone has had this scenario:
Having had 4 surgeries to reattach the retina with silicone oil I now found myself in lots of pain around the eye and headaches. Turns out that my eye pressure in the affected eye had gone up to 63 which is drastically high. They told me it should not be above 25.
So had to have more surgery to remove some of the silicone oil which would’ve caused the high pressure so I’m told.
However I’m now in a catch 22 situation in that I need the oil to hold the retina in place but have the added problem of high pressure.
Sound familiar to anyone out there?