Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also when deciding on a dog you need to take into consideration the coat type, some dogs require regular grooming (due to matting) and if you can't manage it yourself then sending them to a dog groomers can be an expensive business.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yeah the only reason I'm considering a springer is that my partner has 27 years experience lol. She's had them since she was born but all hers have been female. Not sure it that makes a difference. And goldie is definetly my 1st choice
I have found that the females (in canines:wideyed:) have been a lot more "family friendly" and treat our young as "honorary pups" Our liver lab & "heinz" would let our daughter do anything without protest and even tried to nurse her!

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Haha well we have no intention of having kids any time soon. The partner got the option of keeping her horse or kids and she picked horse so I'm happy haha.

Well I think we have both decided that we will save and try and get a golden. I emailed a breeder on the kennel club website to get an idea of pricing and she said 650-850. Not sure what determines the price though.

My partner has never had a male dog, her springers were all female. I'm guessing the actual differences between the two are slim?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bear in mind retrievers coats stink when they get wet. We always had labs growing up but one time my mu decided to get retrievers for all the reasons you mention. Nobody warned us they have very oily coats that smell really badly when wet/dirty/greasy etc Some are worse than others but I wouldn't want that smell in a small place. Put me off them for life even though the dogs themselves were lovely. Hubby's auntie had same thing with retriever and won't have another due to smell and coat problems.

Can highly recommend this rescue for all sorts of fab dogs http://www.loveunderdogs.org/

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I think we have both decided that we will save and try and get a golden. I emailed a breeder on the kennel club website to get an idea of pricing and she said 650-850. Not sure what determines the price though.

What will probsably determine te price is the puppy itself: whether it's show or pet quality, whether there are any minor "cosmetic" issues, and often its sex. Bitches often cost more as they may be more in demand by other breeders who want to expand/establish their own show "line".

Just a word of caution - with Cavaliers, there are known puppy farmers on the Kennel Club Assured Breeders list, and many litters that are registered with them come from such breeders, so I think it might be wise to check with the breed club(s) as well.

And regarding age to take a puppy home - i would prefer to wait until it was fully vaccinated (so more like 12 weeks) as then if there's any reaction to the jabs it's in the breeder's experienced hands, and you won't have all the worry associated with this. All my pups except the last one were at least 10 weeks old and came fully immunised; this last one was 9 weeks and needed his second jab after we got him, and he did have a reaction and was a bit poorly for 24 hours and had a little sore lump on the needle site for several weeks. Although it was nothing to be over-concerned about, I would much rather this had happened when he was still with his breeder and she had had to deal with it not me!! :( It really upset me that he had been "hurt" in my care...

Robbity

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a big difference between males and females
There is lots of puppies in rescue
I have 3 rescue dogs and I am fostering one,
There is some great dogs in rescue, not all have problems,
Usually some good training is all that's needed
My 1st rescue dog had never been outside on a lead , he was only let out into a garden, I
He was 5, 10 years later, he loves his walks and runs like a greyhound
2nd one came from a dog hoarder, 51 dogs, he is a bit shy but other than that he is great
3rd one was handed in yo rescue as owner couldn't afford vet bill and dog needed treatment, absolute great dog with no issues
She too was only 10 months old
Foster boy is 9, loves cuddles, kids, cats anything really, owner could no longer afford to keep him.
If you are saving up you have all the time to find a perfect rescue pup
3rd dog is my avatar pic

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I suggest you go for a Heinz dog. Pure breeds all have problems associated with them. Go onto EPUPZ and put in dog breeds it will give you an idea of illnesses each dog suffers. Labs can have problems with discs in their back. Springers have problems with their ears and cancerous growths. Having just had to hay my cat put to sleep a few weeks ago I know how heart breaking it is to make that decision. So personally I would go to a dog rescue home. See what is available and try a few home visits with whichever pet you decide to adopt. Our dog is a boxer staff mix, we have had him 8 years and rescued him from Manchester dogs home. He was great with both our cats although Lilly gives him a wide berth, Marbles our cat we had to put to sleep cuddled up to him and slept with him. Having a dog opens doors to other people when you are out and about walking etc. I hope you find a dog like ours to give you unconditional love and attention. Welcome you home from work, snuggle up to you when you sad and drive you crazy when he want to go swimming lol.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Not Heinz dog, HYBRID VIGOUR. The pedigree dogs are bred for looks not health.although my girls are border collies, they are farm bred not KC dogs and expect them to go from old age rather than genetic problems.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:
I would go for a Labrador any time, any colour they are a lovely loving breed. A little quirky lol, but I like that. One word of advice. Don't leave any leather strapped watches about. Our dog ate mine, but thankfully didn't eat the metal bits.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you want something cuddly and loving you can't go wrong with a staffie cross. They will, given half a chance, spend their entire time curled up on your lap, or licking your face.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would always be a cross breed for me. I couldn't begin to justify putting money in breeders pockets, some of them pretty unscrupulous, when there are thousands of lovely dogs in dog pounds around the country. These rescue dogs are often young and very trainable. They are strong and healthy and great looking dogs. Rescue places also have puppy books, so if anyone is set on getting a dog at the youngest age you can put your name down on the waiting list.
Mabil, at Hounds First Sighthound Rescue has just had 11 pups. She's a lovely looking dog, and I bet those pups will be too. http://www.houndsfirst.co.uk/

10469455_352660741567138_3935595825606763206_n.jpg
1925329_352238208276058_6047879660887393559_n.jpg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is our staffie cross getting bored waiting for me to take a photo.

hfdKVU6.jpg

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.edch.org.uk/index.php/pets/view/oscar/
This boy is near to you older but gorgeous
One other thing k labs and retrievers are quite popular, and are rarely advertised in dog rescues as they usually have a waiting list
Why don't you put your name down and see what happens

Last edited by a moderator:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
:rolleyes:
I would go for a Labrador any time, any colour they are a lovely loving breed. A little quirky lol, but I like that. One word of advice. Don't leave any leather strapped watches about. Our dog ate mine, but thankfully didn't eat the metal bits.
My yorkie terrier ate my hearing aid - had to go hospital and get another one !
They said don't worry - we get this happening quite a lot :wideyed::eek:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My yorkie terrier ate my hearing aid - had to go hospital and get another one !
They said don't worry - we get this happening quite a lot :wideyed::eek:
But does it listen to your commands?;)
Seriously, hope you didn't have any problems with the batteries etc leaking into him/her.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
But does it listen to your commands?;)
Seriously, hope you didn't have any problems with the batteries etc leaking into him/her.
We have 2 yorkies . (sisters - same parents)
Youngest is good as gold - her older sister the tiny more dominant
one who is a total 'sod' and very stubborn .
A tiny dog - yet with huge attitude !

It was the youngest as a puppy, she heard the hearing aid whistling away
whilst I slept and ate it .
We found the battery ' a real phew moment ' rest of hearing aid in bits
on the rug .
Was fretting they wouldn't believe me up at the hospital too .

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415019035.516640.jpg

We have had 2 rescue dogs. One has now passed on after 17 years of loyal devotion and Freddie the dog in my avatar came from a spanish dogs home and still going strong at 10 + years. When you go to a rescue centre there is always one dog that touches your heart and that is the one to take home.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415025047.017668.jpg

Freddie our rescue dog

Reactions: 4 people