Passing OGGT Utopian Goal?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that a number of us has found LCHF and Intermittent fasting helpful in normalizaing our HbA1c.

Perhaps I am being greedy here.. But has anyone experienced success in clearing OGGT after T2D diagnosis and being on low carb diet?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, but it is something I aspire to, a long way off if ever. But it's the carrot on a long stick

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nope and I suspect I never will!
Unless a cure comes any time soon.
But as a rare disorder I don't think that I have much hope for big scientific research.

But, as diet is the only treatment. What could pills do?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Due to the fact that the OGGT is a crudely measured & blunt instrument I have been "passing it" for several years!
My fasting BG is at worst inthe low 5s and by the time they test at 2 hrs, I am back down at = fasting again! In fact I usually overshoot.
The fact that my primary insulin response is shot and I peak at ~ 10 at 50 mins is missed by the OGGT, due to my secondary insulin response mopping up the BG well within the 2 hrs!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Due to the fact that the OGGT is a crudely measured & blunt instrument I have been "passing it" for several years!
My fasting BG is at worst inthe low 5s and by the time they test at 2 hrs, I am back down at = fasting again! In fact I usually overshoot.
The fact that my primary insulin response is shot and I peak at ~ 10 at 50 mins is missed by the OGGT, due to my secondary insulin response mopping up the BG well within the 2 hrs!
How low do you go after two hours?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of ppl (sorry, can't remember their names) have posted about conducting their own oral glucose tolerance tests to check how they are doing after a period of weight loss (e.g. Newcastle Diet). If anyone wants to do it, the criteria for an OGTT are quite strict, so perhaps read up on the instructions first (they are available through Google).

The new NICE guidelines suggest that any discrepency between HbA1c and Fasting Glucose test should be investigated - but don't say what that investigation should be.

There are also a couple of other things to bear in mind, when following a low carb diet and taking an OGTT

Firstly, when you eat Low Carb your body gets used to it, and it 'downgrades its enzyme production'. This means that it isn't prepared to cope with a large dose of carbs, so blood glucose may shoot up very high if you did an OGTT without some prep. The standard suggestion is that you eat 'normal' carbs for 3 days before the test, giving your body time to 'upgrade'. All well and good. Except that I trialled this for a week when on hol a couple of years ago, and was vastly amused to discover that MY body didn't start 'upgrading its enzyme production' until day 8. And I can't believe I am the only person whose pancreas is so lazy! So I would take The 3 Day Rule as an absolute minimum, and assume that you need to eat normal carbs for at least a week to 10 days - and if I eat 'normal carbs' for that period of time I generally put on about 7-10 pounds of weight, so it isn't something I would choose to do lightly.

Secondly, I did not know this during my last OGTT. As a result, I question the result of the test and have refused to take an OGTT since then despite pressure from both doc and nurse.
I had done as instructed - and eaten 'normal carbs' for the 3 days, and thought that was OK. However, I felt truly dreadful during the test. Thumping headache, general aches and nausea and lethargy and awfulness. Then, following the test I had all-body aching for 2 days, a vicious headache that lasted 48 hours and over a day of blurred vision. Had to take a day and a half off work because I couldn't see the computer screen or drive.

So, I am not suggesting that everyone will have the issues I did. Most people don't. But they are something to consider when self testing, or pushing for tests with the doc.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had only the fasting OGTT.
I have had the mixed meal and breakfast tolerance test. Both fasting!
If I had had a dope test, that's the only one I would have passed:cool:;)

3.8 is normal, and nothing to worry about unless you get severe symptoms.
I can go down to 3,8, but no further!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
<snip>

There are also a couple of other things to bear in mind, when following a low carb diet and taking an OGTT

Firstly, when you eat Low Carb your body gets used to it, and it 'downgrades its enzyme production'. This means that it isn't prepared to cope with a large dose of carbs, so blood glucose may shoot up very high if you did an OGTT without some prep. The standard suggestion is that you eat 'normal' carbs for 3 days before the test, giving your body time to 'upgrade'.
I am fully aware of this, but unfortunately, I have yet to encounter a hospital/clinic that has bothered to advise me to folow this procedure!
All well and good. Except that I trialled this for a week when on hol a couple of years ago, and was vastly amused to discover that MY body didn't start 'upgrading its enzyme production' until day 8. And I can't believe I am the only person whose pancreas is so lazy! So I would take The 3 Day Rule as an absolute minimum, and assume that you need to eat normal carbs for at least a week to 10 days - and if I eat 'normal carbs' for that period of time I generally put on about 7-10 pounds of weight, so it isn't something I would choose to do lightly.

<snip>
This would explain why my results failed to differ between OGTT on full blown LCHF and after carbing up for 7 days!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CollieBoy

yeah! my surgery hasn't bothered to tell me whether to fast or not on any test for the last 3 years, so I just fast on principle.

So reminding me to 'carb up' before an OGTT is NEVER going to happen! lol