Pasta & MDI

anouser1

Hi all,

In recent weeks, I have been experimenting with my insulin injections timing to find the perfect balance for spaghetti bolognese.

When injecting 1/2 hour after eating, my BG rose from 6.9 to 9.3 in that time, and then fell to 10.4 before bed
When injecting 45 minutes after eating, my BG dropped from 9.4 to 7.6 in that time, before going to 8.6 before bed
When injecting an hour after eating, my BG went from 7.9 to 10.8, before dropping to 6.1 before bed and then from 6.7 to 12.1, before dropping to 8.1 before bed when I tried it again a different day

I ate and went to bed at a similar time each day. I thought I had cracked it by having it an hour late, but the 12.1 reading the next day makes me think I haven't. Any recommendations on where to go from here?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
some find they need to split their bolus doses to master the likes of pasta/rice/pizza etc so there's another option you could pursue xx

anouser1

some find they need to split their bolus doses to master the likes of pasta/rice/pizza etc so there's another option you could pursue xx
I have seen about this but the inconsistency with my numbers confused me with it. Given that I went down WITHOUT insulin once, I feel injecting initially may put me too low, even if I do just 1/2 of it then, and the other half an hour or so later. Although the low reading seems likely to have been just a one off. For splitting, would you recommend doing half of the dose up front, and half 90 minutes later?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For splitting, would you recommend doing half of the dose up front, and half 90 minutes later?
I honestly couldn't advise, I have never used an extended split bolus as after suffering an eating disorder soon after diagnosis I haven't fully overcome it so have never experimented with the likes of pasta and the only time I split bolus is for Christmas and New Years day dinner and everyone is so individual it really is a case of trial and error until you find what works for you xx

anouser1

Nigthmare. Tried 45 minutes after eating today and went from 6.1 to 9.1 45 minutes after, but 11.3 before going to bed! Had to inject a correction. Need some advice on splitting the dosage!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nigthmare. Tried 45 minutes after eating today and went from 6.1 to 9.1 45 minutes after, but 11.3 before going to bed! Had to inject a correction. Need some advice on splitting the dosage!
As I've said nobody can give that as everyone is different it really is a case of trial and error, or something you may just have to give up on if you cant get it right, reduce portion, are you having a fatty sauce? There are loads of factors to consider but we aren't allowed to give dosing advice as it's so individual

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @anouser1 pasta is a real hard thing to bolus for. Most will split bolus for it. ie maybe half before we eat then half at around the 1 1/2 to 2 hours after starting the food. BUT it is a total individual thing.....what works for me may not work for you. I am on a pump and do a dual wave bolus which puts 40% in straight away then dribbles the 60% over a 2 1/2 hour period. Works for me 90% of the time

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
would be good to see what you were at the 1.5 hour mark and then when the insulin for the meal is finished......

what did you observe before you started this experiment? Loews followed by highs later on?

I personally find pasta fine in terms of the delayed glucose conversion.........i need to pre-bolus....but no split needed....

anouser1

Hi @anouser1 pasta is a real hard thing to bolus for. Most will split bolus for it. ie maybe half before we eat then half at around the 1 1/2 to 2 hours after starting the food. BUT it is a total individual thing.....what works for me may not work for you. I am on a pump and do a dual wave bolus which puts 40% in straight away then dribbles the 60% over a 2 1/2 hour period. Works for me 90% of the time
Thanks. I was looking for a starting point like this but the inconsistency of my numbers was confusing me!

anouser1

would be good to see what you were at the 1.5 hour mark and then when the insulin for the meal is finished......

what did you observe before you started this experiment? Loews followed by highs later on?

I personally find pasta fine in terms of the delayed glucose conversion.........i need to pre-bolus....but no split needed....
Before I started delaying the bolus, I never noticed going low initially (not to say it never happened), but I was always in the 12s or so before bed. When going to bed, it is always around 4/5 hours or so after eating dinner, so the insulin would be wearing off around then.

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Hi - I find pasta very difficult now - the annoying thing is for the previous 30 years I had no problem it’s only recently a problem. I’m also sometimes finding difficulty perfecting my evening meals even with other foods (it used to be morning spikes but I have mastered this now). It appears that my Novoraipid works quicker (I don’t have to inject 20 mins before meals anymore) and I still get lows followed by delayed highs - really frustrating - I sometime question is it a change in my body !?

DavidEgerton

The potential issue with meals that are high in fats is that instead of taking 2-3 hours to digest, it may be 4-5 hours or more. So if you take all your insulin, you could risk having a hypo as Novarapid will work faster than food, then later your blood sugars keep rising as food still digesting but no Novarapid left. Try experimenting and see what us right for you. I take 60% of Novarapid with high fat meals, then remainder of Novarapid 2 hours later. Everyone is different so I would first urge a call to your diabetics team who have lots of experience and can advise you.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m take my bolts about2.5 hours after I’ve eaten spag bog , it doesn’t cure a spike but it’s definitely more acceptable, took me about two years to work it out . “ when we first don’t succeed try and try……………………..and try again