Pasta

Shazza

Hi

My Son is T1 he doesnt eat pasta very often but have noticed that when he does his bs before meal is often 7 or 8, two hours after he will go down to 4, then 4 hours after his bs will spike to 15, even the next morning he is still higher than usual. Can anyone advise me what they do when eating pasta? With pizza we split his dose giving him half before meal and other half an hour later.

Thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Not an insulin user but pasta is a starchy carb, slow acting so you may need to split the dose for pasta like you do for pizza. Hopefully an insulin user will have the answer for you.

leggott

Hi Shazza,
We have the same problem with my kids. We tend to only give small portions of pasta and normally give them their injection after they have finished eating. if they are tucking into a big portion or we go out for an italian we normally split the dose, giving half once they've finished eating and the other half 30 mins later. I guess it's a bit of trial an error to find out what works for your son.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We have noticed the same thing, particularly with wholemeal pasta which we like. We try to keep the pasta portion small, serve it with lots of salad and add a healthy pudding (fruit salad or yoghurt).