1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pastry.

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Fleegle, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all - is there a low carb pastry recipe? I could not find one...
    I was thinking probably not - almond flour would not be good I guess - but has anyone tried any other variant?

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. badcat

badcat · Guest

Guess it depends what you want to put in it - savoury or sweet
    Ive tried almond flour based ones with things like quiches / DD pies - nice but pretty dense
    Ive not tried this but theres a lovely looking lemon custard tart in celia brooks low carb gluten free cookbook thats been on my " to try " list for a while. The pastry part of the tart recpe is 165g dessicated coconut, 2 egg whites & 3 tbsp erythfitol or other sweetener
    This is also on my totry list -As you can tell, im better at looking than doing when it comes to other peoples recipes
    http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/low-carb-coconut-flour-pie-crust/

• Like Like x 2
  5. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Fleegle,

For savory dishes such as quiche, I use the dietdoctor.com recipe for low carb roles (https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-low-carb-bread) and use my rolling pin to role out the dough and prebake the crust using parchment paper and chickpeas.

Edit to add: I have also used filo dough for quiche before -- they are not necessarily low carb, but I figure as the dough is very, very thin, it won't add too many carbs. Just make sure to only use one or two sheets. Filo would work for sweet dishes too.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 ziggy_w, Aug 6, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  6. badcat

badcat · Guest

If you click on look inside on this amazon link, then a couple of pages in it gives a pic of what the coconut pie crust looks like with filling- mind you when I cook it never quite looks like it does in the pictures!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-carb-G...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PBGX0PXKFGZYY96CP4TD

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rubyjewelz

Rubyjewelz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've very occasionally made a sort of low carb pastry with coconut or sesame seed flour.

But pastry isn't something I normally bother with any more...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook