Patent on lantus ran out so I had no choice but to use another

TypeIforketo

Levemir was supposed to work for 24 hours but it stopped short at 18 hours. At first it appeared to work then my am BS started to skyrocket. like last night it was 90 at 6 pm 159 at 10 pm then 307 at 8 am. This was without eating carbs that night at all except for a green salad with a dressing that showed 1 gr carb per serving. The salad itself was 0 carbs. After researching it I'm realizing I will need to split the insulin doses for Levemir. Anyone else had these difficulties?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome!

I was told many years ago to take levemir once a day and for the last couple of years, levemir is better when taken with split doses. I agree it works for like 18 hrs or so and slowly tapers off. With split levemir, you can adjust either morning or evening dose and to make sure it is working is to do the basal testing. Where you fast, let's say after dinner, so no fast acting insulin on board, do 1 test at midnight and another test at 3am to make sure it is doing it's job.

I had difficulties with levemir because I was hypoing no matter how I adjusted it so I was prescribed Tresiba to combat nocturnal hypos. which apparently is similar to lantus

have you spoken to your DSN or consultant about it?

TypeIforketo

Hello, welcome!

I was told many years ago to take levemir once a day and for the last couple of years, levemir is better when taken with split doses. I agree it works for like 18 hrs or so and slowly tapers off. With split levemir, you can adjust either morning or evening dose and to make sure it is working is to do the basal testing. Where you fast, let's say after dinner, so no fast acting insulin on board, do 1 test at midnight and another test at 3am to make sure it is doing it's job.

I had difficulties with levemir because I was hypoing no matter how I adjusted it so I was prescribed Tresiba to combat nocturnal hypos. which apparently is similar to lantus

have you spoken to your DSN or consultant about it?

No I just found out its problems and am taking action to resolve it. I've been a Type I for over 40 years and never had this problem.