Paul Saladino Podcast Ep#43: Carnivore vs Fruitarian

M

Member496333

After listening to the latest Peak Human podcast with Dr Tommy Wood, have to say, his brand of reasonable is way more compelling to me. Now I think I'll have to confess to some fangirling :D

I just listened to this episode and it's entertaining. However, while I have enjoyed Peak Human for a long time, the regular theme persists. They single out a particular person or group, castigate them for being single-minded and dogmatic, then spend the next hour telling everyone how it should be done. The irony is clearly lost in translation somewhere.

Overall it's a great show and I always try to listen to the majority of episodes, but the hypocrisy is real and pervasive. It should be noted that Saladino does not prescribe a way of eating to anyone. He only describes the science as he understands it and leaves people to make their own choices. For Peak Human to single him out for ridicule and imply he is being prescriptive and closed-minded, but then spend the next hour prescribing how they see things is a bit rich.

But I'm not knocking the show or the episode. Everyone is entitled to express their views. Peak Human is a valuable and entertaining resource, but it's no more valid than anything that anyone else puts out. I guess, in the end, one's view will be swayed by whichever side of the fence you already sit on. And yes I include myself in that :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ianpspurs
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
120 minutes is a longtime. My fear is that if you find him ( Saladino ) amazing then I probably will not.
No disrespect but a leopard doesn’t change its spots.;)

I am going to give it go now, after reading some of the comments on here, but, I do have to go to work soon, but I will try to give it my all :D

M

Member496333

I am going to give it go now, after reading some of the comments on here, but, I do have to go to work soon, but I will try to give it my all :D

I think it's worth a listen. Personally it's of no consequence to me what people choose to eat. Everyone has their own view, but the takeaway point from this podcast is that these guys are espousing a plant-based diet for reversing or avoiding insulin resistance, and Saladino convincingly argues that they don't even understand what insulin resistance is. That's not to say that there isn't any merit at all in their approach, but they certainly didn't do a very good job of convincing me on this occasion :angelic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If you recommend it then maybe I’ll give it a go.:)

Unfortunately, I could only hear it when I googled it ( He did sound very hyper and talked quickly too) also I couldn't listen to a lot of it. as I had to go out. The first page, on this thread, which I can see, is this, (the original link, seems to have disappeared) !! or posts deleted ?
It's not on recent posts either :wideyed:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 4.50.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 4.50.25 PM.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 215

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is an interesting thread. My own man-crush is on Dr Rangan Chatterjee, for his honest and compassionate attitude. I've been following his podcast for a few years, and have two of his books. It was a recent podcast episode which brought me here, indirectly. He spoke with Dr Gemma Newman about the benefits of a whole-food plant-based diet. Obviously, their conversation was aimed at the general population, not those with diabetes, but she also spoke with such compassion and kindness that I wanted to know more.

I have been following a whole-food ketogenic diet for my type 1 diabetes for three years now, with excellent results. (I have the members of this forum to thank in no small part for that, including @Jim Lahey .) I have always believed, and still do, that the biggest gains in general terms have been from the whole-food aspect. In my case, the ketogenic aspect is what facilitates good blood glucose control, but when I talk about diet with other people, I emphasise that keto isn't necessary, and that the whole-food approach is more important. That's what I think, anyway.

So I looked at Dr Newman's website, and her book, and noted that she directs those with diabetes to the Mastering Diabetes plan. So I listened to Cyrus and Robbie talking to Rich Roll, who's another guy I respect. I listened with an open mind. I listened when they described how following a ketogenic diet causes insulin resistance. I also watched this video, as this guy's story is very similar indeed to my own (similar age, similar age at diagnosis, followed keto for a similar amount of time, lives in the UK, loves spreadsheets...).

After that, my anxiety got the better of me: I convinced myself I was harming myself with keto, and that I should change immediately. Of course, thinking rationally, this is nonsense, but that's exactly what anxiety precludes: rational thought. So, I went back to all the research I'd done about cholesterol and heart disease and keto, including people like Volek & Phinney, Zoe Harcombe and Aseem Malhotra, as well as a couple of really good Facebook groups.

To the above list I can now add this thread, for which I (and my anxiety) am very grateful. I remain open-minded about their 80/10/10 macro scheme; I think it could well work. But the fact is, I enjoy animal foods too much. Don't get me wrong - I eat them only in moderation (I like to focus on sustainable seafood, organ meats and eggs), and I include plenty of plants in my diet too. But one thing that strikes me about Cyrus and Robbie and their adherents is that they seem to have missed eating high-carb things like tropical fruit. I don't. There was a time when the idea of not eating bananas, bread, or rice was shocking to me. But I genuinely have no craving for those things any more. Partly I suspect that comes from being keto-adapted over three years, and also partly from the notion that those things will actually do me harm.

So I might try the MD approach one day. But not for now.

Thanks again to those who contributed constructively to the above.

Reactions: oldgreymare