PCOS & Type 1...?

kpa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been diagnosed as type 1 since 16. Am now in my mid 30s and have found out I have PCOS, which you're born with. But according to what I can read, PCOS normally leads to type 2 diabetes...not type 1. I have always had a problem with my weight, but at the time of diagnosis I had lost a bit and although this is linked to type 1 and due to my young age, I am a little in doubt as to if I have type 2 derived from PCOS. I know very little of type 2, so it's all a huge jungle to seek information, and my docs here have been absolutely unhelpful. Could I have been wrongly diagnosed with type 1 and how would I go about questioning this with doctors? Thanks in advance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been diagnosed as type 1 since 16. Am now in my mid 30s and have found out I have PCOS, which you're born with. But according to what I can read, PCOS normally leads to type 2 diabetes...not type 1. I have always had a problem with my weight, but at the time of diagnosis I had lost a bit and although this is linked to type 1 and due to my young age, I am a little in doubt as to if I have type 2 derived from PCOS. I know very little of type 2, so it's all a huge jungle to seek information, and my docs here have been absolutely unhelpful. Could I have been wrongly diagnosed with type 1 and how would I go about questioning this with doctors? Thanks in advance.

KPA - I think it' worth saying that PCOS is a pretty common condition, and it is likely there are plenty of women living with it who are never formally diagnosed.

To be honest, my take on the PCOS and diabetes thing is that any hormonal dis-regulation - such as occurs in PCOS, effectively means to individual's body isn't quite ticking over as it should

Saying PCOS leads to T2 is a bit like saying eating donuts, or chips, or cakes or whichever heavy carb foodstuff you care to think of leads to diabetes. It certainly won't help much, but it's way more complicated than that.

Sadly, there are juveniles diagnosed, correctly with T2 diabetes, however, in the scheme of things, they are not commonplace.

My guess on your situation (and it has to be a guess) would be that it is extremely likely your diagnosis was correct. That you also have PCOS may make you a bit more insulin resistant than some people living with T1. As a result, you might find your carb ration means you need higher insulin doses for certain foods than others do - but you need what you need.

Were I in your shoes, and it was really, really bothering me, I wouldn't bother trying to get anything done by my GP, but I would bring it up at my next clinic. There are tests available to measure how much, if any insulin you produce yourself. The main test is the C-Peptide test.

We do see people on here whose diagnosis has been changed, but it much more common for an adult to be diagnosed, mistakenly as T1, when they are indeed living with T1.

Good luck with it all. Niggling uncertainty is an uncomfortable way to live.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The thing about type 2 that links it with PCOS is insulin resistance. It is possible to be insulin resistant and type 1 but as mentioned above it could all just be a coincidence.
As suggested you can see how much insulin you are making via the c peptide test. You could also look at your insulin levels and weight. If these are stable and not increasing perhaps the PCOS is just something to deal with alongside your current type 1 insulin and testing regime.
If you've nticed insulin and waist creeping up though it could be useful to look at ways to safely get insulin needs down i.e. by reducing carbs. Obviously you have to do this with some forethought so that you avoid lows but lots of those with insulin resistance conditions (hypertension, pcos, type 2 diabetes, fatty liver) find this is to be a useful way to lose fat without being very hungry. As a bonus eating less carb can make type 1 easier too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PCOS and insulin resistance are intertwined, so you may well be a T1 with PCOS insulin resistance as an added bonus.

If you do some reading on PCOS you will probably find quite a lot of info about how people with PCOS often respond well to reducing their insulin resistance (and sometimes their weight) by lowering their carbs, and eating a bit more protein.

Best wishes,