Peak 4 hours after meal/insulin

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm day 4 into my Libre trial, and the insights I'm getting are amazing - may consider self-funding if possible. I've noticed something, and it's probably more to do with my lack of insulin education than anything else. Just to briefly recap: I'm type 2 on Toujeo (44 u) and Novorapid (6 u per meal). I was never given any real guidance when I was put on to insulin - which is partly why I ended up being an absolute mess for while.
So, things are much better now. I'm on a low carb diet, and I do daily intermittent fasting from 7pm until 1pm. My blood sugar is fairly stable, but maybe not always what it should be - I still get highs around three to four hours after a meal. Typically this happens around 4pm, and then again around 10pm. For example, yesterday lunchtime, I made a crustless quiche with eggs, cream, cheese, ham, courgette, onion...nothing else. I ate a moderate slice at about 1.30pm. Pre-lunch my blood sugar was 6.1mmol and had been there or thereabouts all morning. I took 6 units of Novorapid just before I ate, and measured hourly. My levels remained between 5.5 and 5.9 until 4.30 when it shot up to 8.9. I've noticed this with ever meal, and although it certainly isn't high in terms of where it was a few months ago (20+ on a daily basis), but I'm just trying to understand my patterns a little bit more so that I can learn to deal with some of the peaks.
Is this the effect of the Novorapid wearing off? Do you think it indicates that I need to take more with each meal?
I have a GP call in two weeks time, and I have an appointment booked for early June with the Diabetic Nurse, so will discuss it with them, but just wondered if anyone had any insights.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
4.30 pm is 3 hours after taking insulin if you ate at 1.30 pm. The question you need to ask is: did your blood sugar return to 6.1 mmol/l 5 hours after 1.30 pm at 6.30 pm? Injected insulin has a fixed curve over 5 hours and does not act like a normal person's insulin.

Last edited:

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply, and sorry, I realise the title was not so clear... it tends to start rising between 3 and 4 hours after a meal, and then rises and stays there. So, no, by 6.30 it was still 8.8.
I wasn't aware of the action of insulin - thank you - I shall do some research!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks for the reply, and sorry, I realise the title was not so clear... it tends to start rising between 3 and 4 hours after a meal, and then rises and stays there. So, no, by 6.30 it was still 8.8.
I wasn't aware of the action of insulin - thank you - I shall do some research!
I would take a correction with some food after 5 hours if my blood sugars had not come back down.
They always say to check your basal to start with by skipping lunch and seeing if your blood sugars hold a flat line. If it does then try to tweak with your bolus carb ratio.

Reactions: luceeloo

Gafspa

I’m newly diagnosed type one and I get this. 2 hrs after I’ve eaten my bloods are where I’d expect them to be between 5-7, by the time I go to bed they are often up 13.

I haven’t had an appointment with anyone to discuss this with but I’m presuming this is because I digest my food very slowly. I’m also under active thyroid so that ties in.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would take a correction with some food after 5 hours if my blood sugars had not come back down.

I've never been told to correct.. well, I've never been told anything about insulin at all. But, I corrected last night with 3 units after 5 hours, and bingo. It's been perfect ever since. I had my lunch at 12 today, and 5 hours later I'm hovering around 4.5... which is just about perfect, as I'm going to eat my dinner soon. Thank you for the advice.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m newly diagnosed type one and I get this. 2 hrs after I’ve eaten my bloods are where I’d expect them to be between 5-7, by the time I go to bed they are often up 13.

I haven’t had an appointment with anyone to discuss this with but I’m presuming this is because I digest my food very slowly. I’m also under active thyroid so that ties in.

I tried correcting last night, and it worked for me. I think I might digest slowly too, either that or it's the waning effect of the insulin.