Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Peanuts for me are the worst nut (it's not a true nut) with cashews a close second. Macadamias and Almonds are a better choice.

D

Deleted member 308541

I eat peanuts but if I have to many they will give me problems. I am all right with Macadamia nuts when I get them from my neighbour, as I have to spend time and effort cracking them out of their shells with a Gympie hammer.

I have been after getting Bunya nuts to try but have not been to the particular are in Queensland where they grow for awhile.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What I would like to know is why a lot of people say they can tolerate peanut butter. Is it because the peanuts are mixed with palm oil? Which is the reason I stopped eating peanut butter years ago (ethical reasons) or have I missed a trick and there is a peanut butter that isn't suspended in palm oil? Methinks Mr. Google has to be dusted off.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts are actually legumes - they grow in pods, and I can't eat them without spiking - some people can, it just depends how they affect you.

D

Deleted member 308541

Is it because the peanuts are mixed with palm oil?
I think it will be the basic peanut oil that is released when the peanuts are crushed and blended.

It's not called peanut butter here in Queensland it's called peanut paste. We have bought it from the peanut van in Kingaroy which is the major peanut growing area in Queensland and it has been very oily. The kids liked it at the time though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_paste

Reactions: Guzzler

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Peanuts are actually low-carb, me thought. The lowest carb, as is a legume as Resurgam says, and not actually a nut. But what a legume - yum! I didn't eat them when paleo-ing, and had a giggle when on LCHF when I discovered that they are way lower carb than pistachios, which I love too. (Neither peanuts nor nuts spike me, negligible effect if any on BGs.)

Trouble with peanuts is, like popcorn (a whole other carb story!) you can keep eating them and eating them. I think they have a low satiety factor, why I have no idea.

Macadamias on the other hand - very yum, very low-carb (but not as low as peanuts), and super filling. Indeed. I cannot eat more than five or six small tasty Kiwi-macadamias at one sitting. (The 'Kiwi' refers to NZ, not to the fruit!) (I'm very envious of Tipetoo having macadamias growing next door...)

All the peanut butter I have is just ground peanuts. Absolutely no palm oil. Again, peanut butter a no-no in Paleo diet cos it's a legume (for apparent affect on digestion reasons), and why I got into almond butter. But peanut butter is lower carb. I eat both now, according to taste, no worries.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Peanuts 16g per 100g
Cashew nuts 30g per 100g
Neither seem particularly low carb, esp cashews.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that peanuts really make me hungry, as well as causing a bit of a spike. Almonds are more satisfying and don’t cause me a spike. Co-op do some 25g (or they might be 30g) which helps with portion control!

But to find out what works for you @Dazzy1 you really need a meter so you can test before and after eating.

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I would like to know is why a lot of people say they can tolerate peanut butter. Is it because the peanuts are mixed with palm oil? Which is the reason I stopped eating peanut butter years ago (ethical reasons) or have I missed a trick and there is a peanut butter that isn't suspended in palm oil? Methinks Mr. Google has to be dusted off.

If you fancied it making nut butters at home is really easy - just hurl nuts in a food processor and whizz up :) in a previous life (pre d) I’ve made my own Nutella doing this and then adding cocoa/melted choc. I think I used a mix of cashews and hazelnuts if i remember. I do know it was yummy!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Peanuts spike me too. I stick pretty much with a couple Macs ( yes, filling!) and some brown butter home roasted pecans.

Peanuts and almonds make for an undesireable and unexplainable gorge!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts (roasted) are 10% carbs, 30% protein, 50% fat and 10% fibre according to Carbs and Cals, so it will depend how many you eat.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Different varieties differ in carbs. I love peanuts and have found some (not so sweet) are 8g and the most I have seen is 10g. I have not seen the ones that are 16g but I bet they are small are really sweet.

Oh and they do not seem to spike me - I worry more about the additional protein in them causing a next day spike.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Different varieties differ in carbs. I love peanuts and have found some (not so sweet) are 8g and the most I have seen is 10g. I have not seen the ones that are 16g but I bet they are small are really sweet.

Oh and they do not seem to spike me - I worry more about the additional protein in them causing a next day spike.
How much protein do you eat per day?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are peanuts good for snacks. I've read different things on the net.
Firstly.. no not really.. pork scratchings are much more diabetes friendly as snacks..
Secondly what type of peanuts are you talking about?
Roasted salted are moderate carb about 5 g per 100g BUT can you stop eating them once you have started.. that's where I get problems and why I no longer have them.
Obviously dry roast and honey roast are far higher carb content so a definite no no.
Does that help?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Actually, I just noticed that the peanuts I like are roasted in canola oil and sunflower oil - ouch!

Oh dear - another snack bites the dust :(

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have to honest, I like a salted peanut, and treat myself to a pkt a week. As everyone says though a small handful is never enough. Luckily I have a husband who shares them with me and has big hands....

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't care much for raw nuts of any kind. And I like them salty.

My new fav are raw pecans. Then slowly melt butter until it just starts turning brown. Pour over pecans and add salt to taste. ( garlic gala works good too) then roast until fragrant and just starting to turn brown. Such a completely different flavor. Deep buttery nut flavor. Then of course melt some cheese and top with them!! My favorite time of day. Brie with brown butter pecans and chopped green onion all melted into a delicious puddle of gooey goodness.

Makes it easy to pass on peanuts.