Doctors
cool, are you going to wear both to compare? thatll be interesting

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cool, are you going to wear both to compare? thatll be interesting

Yes planning on wearing both all day tomorrow to see if there's a big difference.

I know neither will be accurate really, but I'm intrigued :)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Decent count today.

Had my usual 6km walk in the morning then walked to and from a restaurant about a kilometer away from my office at lunchtime.

Then I discovered that I forgot my car keys at the restaurant so had to walk there and back again!

Fealt pretty stupid but all this going and coming made for a healthy step count in the end.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1394831170.166194.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vivofit 6385
Pedometer 5884

However they both say I've walked 4.4km.

The experiment continues!

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Weens. How do you manage that? Are you a postman?

My score was 7000 today which is about my average on a working day. The only way I can get is higher is to go on a 'pointless walk' as my children describe it

Cara

Thanks Cara!

No I'm not a post(wo)man - good idea though - I could earn some extra cash delivering letters!

I always try to go on a 'pointless walk' (my husband thinks the same as your children!) every day. I started off with walks around 4000 steps and kept on increasing the distance and speed. So I now essentially 'power walk' for around 10000 - 12000 steps if I can. The rest is just general walking around involved in my day to day activities - I try to keep active & not sit about for long periods, as IMO being sedentary can contribute to becoming diabetic and can exacerbate existing diabetes. Being a T2 on D&E only from diagnosis, I am keen to reduce insulin resistance, and maintain my new weight.

I joined this thread as I was curious as to how much walking I did in a day in addition to my power walk. So I started wearing my ped for most of the day. I'm thrilled that it looks like some days I can do quite a lot of steps in addition to those on my power walk. This thread is giving me the motivation to go further/faster on my power walks, and keep active the rest of the time. So a BIG thanks for starting it. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
15396 (including 'power walk' - ~12k steps) yesterday, 7.79km, 585 kcals
and 13850 (including 'power walk' - ~10k steps) 6.92km, 526 kcals, so far today

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Cara!

No I'm not a post(wo)man - good idea though - I could earn some extra cash delivering letters!

I always try to go on a 'pointless walk' (my husband thinks the same as your children!) every day. I started off with walks around 4000 steps and kept on increasing the distance and speed. So I now essentially 'power walk' for around 10000 - 12000 steps if I can. The rest is just general walking around involved in my day to day activities - I try to keep active & not sit about for long periods, as IMO being sedentary can contribute to becoming diabetic and can exacerbate existing diabetes. Being a T2 on D&E only from diagnosis, I am keen to reduce insulin resistance, and maintain my new weight.

I joined this thread as I was curious as to how much walking I did in a day in addition to my power walk. So I started wearing my ped for most of the day. I'm thrilled that it looks like some days I can do quite a lot of steps in addition to those on my power walk. This thread is giving me the motivation to go further/faster on my power walks, and keep active the rest of the time. So a BIG thanks for starting it. :)

Woohoo! That is the purpose of this thread, motivation for us all to be that little bit more active :)

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
7016 so far but we are going bowling in an hour so should rack up a few more, plus steps count double when wearing silly shoes dont they?

Reactions: 3 people

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woohoo! That is the purpose of this thread, motivation for us all to be that little bit more active :)

I
7928 on vivofit and 5.7km
6442 on pedometer and 4.8km

No idea which is accurate!

A couple of things you might want to try?

If you try setting the trip meter on your car to 0 and drive the route you take - it might give you a decent enough idea of the distance to see which is accurate? I also set my ped to 0 and paced (and counted) 50 steps and checked how many were recorded to see if it matches. Mine seems to be pretty accurate.

I've only got little legs - so I probably get less km for the same number of steps as you! ... so not fair! :spitoutdummy:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I

A couple of things you might want to try?

If you try setting the trip meter on your car to 0 and drive the route you take - it might give you a decent enough idea of the distance to see which is accurate? I also set my ped to 0 and paced (and counted) 50 steps and checked how many were recorded to see if it matches. Mine seems to be pretty accurate.

I've only got little legs - so I probably get less km for the same number of steps as you! ... so not fair! :spitoutdummy:

I've done the count 100 steps thing yesterday and they both showed the same. Vivofit has acknowledged my hoovering though and the pedometer hasn't I think it's because it's a bit stop-start-stop-start movement

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive employed a punkawaller to follow me around all day counting my steps from monday

the shower may get a little crowded but hey ho

Speaking of the shower, Vivofit is waterproof so I wore it in the shower. So I'll have gained say 100 steps there walking to/from the bathroom and getting dressed

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cool i want one, i may have to invest if my punkerwaller doesnt work out

Give me a few more days and I'll tell you what I think. So far...... Not thrilled. The "sleep tracker" said I didn't move an inch all night. Strange since I got up 3 times to test BG (basal testing night :( )

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So far today I've managed 15897 steps which is about what I manage on a normal Saturday.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's an online 'pedometer' that uses Google Maps to work out how far you've walked. It can be found here --> Pedometer. I use it to cross check the distance my own pedometer says I've walked.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
back on the sofa, cant move, legs and feet are just gone, peeing blood the consistancy of ketchup but i have a cup of green tea and a coconut atkins bar, smashed my predicted time by half an hour(ish) so i am on cloud nine :)

Reactions: 6 people